Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
The transcript (see below) already explains most of it.
The movies referenced are (links go to Wikipedia):
If you click on the chart on the original XKCD page, you'll get a large (3274x2064 pixels) image
- These charts show movie character interactions. The horizontal axis is time. The vertical grouping of the lines indicates which characters are together at a given time.
- Lord of the Rings. A mass of colored lines weaves back and forth across the chart, representing various characters. Sauron is represented by a huge black bar at the bottom with branches for nazgul, orcs, etc. Major locations (Moria) and plot points (the breaking of the fellowship) are marked. Gandalf, especially at the beginning, jumps all over the map in a short time. Eagles appear and then disappear a couple of times. Treebeard's line is flat except for the march to Isengard. At the end, the ship to the West drifts off into a corner.
- Star Wars (original trilogy). This chart is simpler. Luke, mostly accompanied by R2-D2, joins and parts from other sets of characters. There's a dotted alternative path on Jabba's line for the special edition. Yoda appears about halfway through (where Luke's Jedi training is marked). All the surviving lines group up at Endor except for Vader, the Emperor, Luke, and Lando; after the climactic duel, the latter two join the rest.
- Jurassic Park. The human characters are in black; dinosaurs are in red. Dilophosaurus appears briefly to eat Nedry and then fades out again. The three raptors are together at the beginning, but split up about halfway through. One has a dotted portion of line between "locked up" and "escapes." In the meantime, they cut off the lines of Arnold and Muldoon. The raptor lines all end when t-rex's swoops down to meet them at the end, and all the surviving humans leave together.
- 12 Angry Men. The lines are labeled Juror 1 through Juror 12. They are all perfectly horizontal and parallel.
- Primer. Three lines start on the left labeled Abe, Aaron, and Granger. They enter a mass of scribbling. Somewhere vaguely towards the end, three lines emerge and fade out, all labeled with question marks.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
...but in 12 Angry Men, at two points, some of the jurors leave to -- and have conversations in -- the bathroom! 184.108.40.206 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
Why is this not part of the explaination? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Minard.png
It is public domain so it should be allowed right? 220.127.116.11 03:43, 10 March 2014 (UTC)
I added it to the explaination as it certainly adds to the understadning of the comic. It was already uploaded by someone else. 18.104.22.168 03:50, 10 March 2014 (UTC)
Only flaw is that Saruman died at the wrong time. LordSamanon (talk) 02:03, 4 March 2015 (UTC)
Second flaw is that Sam is going to west, too 22.214.171.124 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
Third flaw is that in 12 Angry Men, Juror 8 interacts with Juror 9 at the very end. 126.96.36.199 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
I figured it would be of interest of the people here that I have gone through the afford of making one of these as well. It took me a few hours, but I am quite proud of the final image. It's definitely not perfect, though, and I am sure it could be done much better (especially if Randall himself would do it ;)). Either way, here is a movie narrative chart for the first Pokémon film, Mewtwo Strikes Back, something I grew up with and felt worked pretty well in this form: http://maplestrip.tumblr.com/image/123162717416 Maplestrip (talk) 18:58, 4 July 2015 (UTC)
I doubt that it's really worth including in the explanation or anything, but it would seem that Grant's and Sattler's lines get swapped by the first time their names are reiterated. --188.8.131.52 13:18, 14 January 2016 (UTC)
- You're right! Perhaps this could be also mentioned in a "mistakes" / trivia section, as the flaws above. --LaVe (talk) 13:59, 24 February 2017 (UTC)
For me it is SO weird that this is today's Incomplete Explanation. Yesterday on Facebook, I had a Memory that I shared this 1 year ago today (so, 1 year ago yesterday). :) - NiceGuy1 184.108.40.206 04:31, 4 January 2017 (UTC)
I added some transcript. I didn't manage to use different colors in the transcript, so I added the HEX-Codes directly in the text. I'm not mother-tongued so please correct if you find mistakes. --LaVe (talk) 12:30, 20 February 2017 (UTC)
- Cool with the transcript. --Kynde (talk) 18:20, 24 February 2017 (UTC)
- Hey Kynde, we've talked about transcripts. Someone reading the text should understand the picture; not each pixel. I've also talked to LaVe and I promised that I will work on this soon. Stay tuned...--Dgbrt (talk) 19:47, 24 February 2017 (UTC)
I added to the star wars section. Not to familiar with Jurassic Park so an someone add to that and complete the transcript so this comic is complete?Dontknow (talk) 23:31, 2 March 2017 (UTC)
i clicked on the incomplete explanation in the spotlight link to see if i could fix it
some comics will not and should not ever be fully explained 220.127.116.11 04:10, 23 March 2017 (UTC)