679: Christmas Plans
Title text: Physicists who want to protect traditional Christmas realize that the only way to keep from changing Christmas is not to observe it.
This comic centers around a joke about Quantum Entanglement in physics - if you don't observe something, it has all possible states, not a specific one. It is a double-entendre with the word observe meaning both "look at" (physics sense) and "celebrate" (a holiday)
- [Cueball is standing behind a friend, who is sitting at a computer.]
- Cueball: Hey, will you be in town the day after Christmas?
- Friend: Couldn't say—
- Friend: I'm Jewish.
- Cueball: But... how does being Jewish keep you from knowing your plans?
- Friend: I know my plans—
- Friend: I just don't know when Christmas is.
- Cueball: Really? Why not look it up?
- Friend: Well, I'm also a physicist.
- Cueball: So?
- Friend: I believe that since I don't observe Christmas, it can't have a definite date.