Title text: It's commonly known that too much perspective can be a downer.
It must be part of the human condition that causes us to think that odd statements are sometimes more humorous than those supposed to be funny. Cueball makes a true statement, that his statement is not very funny. However, because he invoked irony, the sentence is now funny!
Now going meta: In 20,000 years, there might be no more humans on earth to find the irony funny anymore. How ironic!
This is the first XKCD to use stick figure people, which eventually becomes a defining theme of the comic.
Also see 33: Self-reference.
- When self-reference, irony, and meta-humor go too far
- A CAUTIONARY TALE
- Cueball: This statement wouldn't be funny if not for irony!
- Cueball: ha ha
- Friend: ha ha, I guess.
- 20,000 years later...
- [Desolate badlands landscape with an imposing sun in the sky.]
- "Too much perspective can do that." – Randall
- This is the ninth comic originally posted at livejournal. The previous one was 8: Red Spiders. The next one was 9: Serenity is coming out tomorrow.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!