Title text: Also, I apologize for the time I climbed down into your world and everyone freaked out about the lesbian orgy overseen by a priest.
This comic is a reference to the satirical novel Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions, in which a society of flat shapes live in a 2D world. Half the book is a direct parody of Victorian society, and the other half explores the experience of discovering a new dimension, where a sphere introduces a square (named A. Square) to 3D. Cueball appears to have take the place of this sphere, and the comic takes place after the square knows the third dimension exists.
Humans will never fully be able to grasp the concept of a four spatial dimensions (at least not in the foreseeable future), but there are ways of squashing or slicing four dimensions to create partial visualizations of 4D space. Miegakure is a 4D game that uses cross sections of 4D space. Cueball attempted to play it, but after having his mind blown he gained more sympathy for A. Square, whom he tried to introduce to 3D. A. Square accepts his apology.
The joke here is that Cueball was being silly and drew lines on the square to make it look like Spongebob, which did not make the square happy. Cueball apologizes again.
The title text is a third apology for when Cueball crawled down into the second dimension. Being a stick figure, he is comprised of a circle and straight lines. In the book Flatland, a circle is the highest social level and represents a priest, and all women are lines; thus, to a watcher in flatland, Cueball would look very much like a priest above many connected women, which would look like a lesbian orgy.
- [Cueball encounters a square on the ground.]
- Cueball: Hey, A. Square. How's Flatland?
- Square: Still flat. What's up?
- Cueball: I just spent an hour playing a demo of this 4D game called Miegakure.
- [A character in Miegakure jumps around the 4D landscape.]
- Trying to jump from block to block in four dimensions hurt my brain.
- Cueball: So I apologize for giving you a hard time when you were slow to understand 3D space. I sympathize now.
- Square: It's okay.
- Cueball: Also, I apologize for drawing arms, legs, and eyes on you to make you look like Spongebob. That was out of line.
- Square: Yes, it was.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!