Title text: Let's get dinner after we promptly destroy all the X-7 we've manufactured.
Patient Zero is the usual terminology for the first patient tested or infected with an outbreak-style infection.
This comic serves to make fun of the stereotypical zombie movie in which an unlikely series of events, coupled with extreme oversight on part of the staff, leave an opening for an outbreak to begin. Often, the infected find themselves lacking any restraint or containment, and freely move about in search of humans to infect. in the comic, Laura asks if the zombie has been kept in isolation, a standard medical procedure that prevents the patient from coming into contact with anyone or anything not specifically approved. Her question serves to point out the drastic difference in real-life procedure and zombie movies. Her next actions, going to her car to obtain a weapon to destroy the zombie, again show contrast against the often irrational and illogical actions of medical staff in movies, whose behaviors usually lead to their deaths.
The comic ends with a little "mock the audience" joke as romantic comedies stereo-typically have a very different audience from zombie horror movies. As a result, the director(s) of this movie are deliberately showing the wrong kind of film to the audience attracted by the title or teaser. This would be disastrous for a movie in real life given that audiences do not take kindly to such antics and are likely to pour hate about it online, dissuading others from going, and alienating both those audiences who enjoy romantic comedies and those who enjoy zombie films, leaving just a niche occupied by the people who enjoy both.
The title-text is included as another example of the logical real-life actions versus the illogical movie ones, as any dangerous substance in a real lab would be disposed of, preventing further harm. In zombie movies, another major trope is the medical staff thinking that they are safe after they eliminate the first zombie, only to find the remaining chemicals have been used to make more.
- [Two scientists, Ryan and Laura, stand outside a lab. A zombie is visible through the window.]
- The outbreak started with Patient Zero...
- Ryan: He was exposed to toxin X-7—now he's a bloodthirsty monster!
- Laura: Has he been in isolation?
- Zombie: Braaains!
- Ryan: Yes, but I can't hold this door for long!
- Laura: Hang on, I've got a gun in my truck.
- [She runs off.]
- [Ryan opens the door as Laura shoots through it.]
- And ended with Patient Zero five minutes later.
- Ryan: So, I never got your name. I'm Ryan.
- Laura: Laura.
- The remaining 90 minutes of the movie will be a romantic comedy.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!