Title text: The article has twenty-three citations, one of which is an obscure manuscript from the 1490s and the other twenty-two are arguments on LanguageLog.
Malamanteau when in language, someone combines two words to create another different word. Perhaps, the most famous example of this is "misunderestimate" which was used by former US President George W. Bush.
However, "misunderestimate" might be more of a malapropism as it references in the comic because it was said as a mistake rather than a purposeful combination of two words. At least I hope it was a mistake...
Neologism is also defined as a new word that is created by combining two different words.
However, the word Malamanteau is itself a malamanteau because it is a neologism and a portmanteau. Which points then to the extreme confusion in the supposed Wikipedia article that this comic is showing.
Randall was not the first to invent the term "Malamaneau", but this comment spurred the controversial creation of an actual Wikipedia page with the text as shown in this comic. Curiously, the argument over the legitimacy and notoriety of the word by Wikipedia editors drew enough interest from non-Wikipedians that enough articles were written about the word (and examples of malamanteaux were identified and noted as such by linguists) it actually gained the notoriety necessary to get included in Wikipedia.
Contrary to the image text, as of August 27, 2012, the Wikipedia page has just 21 citations, the oldest of which is 2007, and only 4 of which are from Language Log.
- [The strip is set up as the top of a Wikipedia page.]
- ((The Wikipedia logo.))
- The free encyclopedia
- ((Side navigation options.))
- - Main Page
- - Contents
- - Featured Content
- - Current Events
- ((Wikipedia header options.))
- Article Discussion Edit this page History
- ((The article itself.))
- From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- A malamanteau is a neologism for a portmanteau created by incorrectly combining a malapropism with a neologism. It is itself a portmanteau of ((... the article cuts off.))
- ((Below the panel.))
- Ever notice how Wikipedia has a few words it *really* likes?