Title text: 'Whoa, twenty-two in two hours!' 'Your site got twenty-two hundred hits in two hours?' 'No. Twenty-two. But still, that's like half the people on the internet!'
This comic is a parody of the movie The Social Network, a movie about the founding of the popular social network site Facebook. Here, scenes from the movie are reimagined to feature Zombo.com instead. Zombo.com, also known as Zombocom, is a website that was created in 1999 and using only Flash animations. Randall, like many others more, doesn't like this technique at all. The animation consists of a circle of quickly pulsating dots and a friendly deep male voice repeatedly welcoming the visitor to "Zombocom" and explaining that there was no limit to what could be done at the site, or rather, no limit except yourself. The message repeats while, ironically, there is absolutely nothing that can be done at the site.
Turn on your speakers and check zombo.com for yourself.
The title text could also be a reference to the fact that, back in 1999, there weren't really that many people on the internet.
- It's easy to forget, as we heap awards on The Social Network,
- That before there was Facebook, MySpace, or even Friendster...
- One website dreamed bigger than them all.
- [Cueball and another are talking.]
- Cueball: People like doing stuff. So why not build a website that offers that?
- Another: Offers what? What would I do there?
- Cueball: Anything! The only limit is yourself!
- [Another scene. Hacker, wearing headphones and oblivious, working at computer. Cueball runs in to interrupt; Another holds him back.]
- Cueball: Hey, we need more—
- Another: Don't–he's wired in.
- Hacker: The infinite is possible.
- Another: Or baked. It's hard to tell.
- [Cueball and another at table in bar.]
- Cueball: It's time to monetize. We could make millions!
- Another: No way. A million dollars isn't cool. You know what's cool?
- Cueball: A billio–
- Another: Circles.
- [Long shot in bar. Drinks on table in foreground; dim figures in doorway in background; Cueball, alone, shouting into the distance.]
- Cueball: Hey–a tip: drop the dot.
- Cueball: Just "Zombocom".
- Cueball: It's cleaner.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!