Title text: This hostname is going in dozens of remote config files. Changing a kid's name is comparatively easy!
Changing a server name is a complex process as the name will be placed in several machines. So Cueball wants to make sure that he chooses a great permanent name, that he can give to the server he is running.
When Megan quips on how quickly Cueball named their daughter Caroline (a living being - that is, the type of entity that would give the server purpose), Cueball reminds Megan that he had to choose a name quickly on account of Megan's wishes to name said daughter "Epidural", in honor of the painkiller drugs that were being injected into her spine at the time. Megan tries to justify this by explaining that those were very good drugs, but thus also confirms Cueball in that she was drugged and not in her right mind - wishing to name her daughter after the drug she was taking.
In the title text Cueball mentions that he thinks that it is easier to change a person's name than to change the hostname of a server because of the number of changes that would need to be made to each of the machines that would have saved the old name of the server. It seems, however, that Cueball has never had to wait in line at the Social Security Administration office or at the Department of Motor Vehicles, as both of those events typically take excruciatingly long amounts of time.
- [A large panel the combined width of the four panels below it.]
- [A blue Linux terminal installer screen with a grey box that is labeled "[!]CONFIGURE THE NETWORK" in red. Below, in black, it reads "Please enter the hostname for the system." Below is an empty blue entry box with a cursor and dashed underscore, and below this it says "<GO BACK>".]
- [Cueball sits at his computer, Megan stands behind him.]
- Megan: You've been staring at that screen a while.
- Cueball: Picking a good server name is important.
- [Megan stares at him.]
- [She continues to stare.]
- [Cueball pushes his chair back, puts one elbow on the back of the chair and points with his other hand at the screen.]
- Megan: And yet you settled on "Caroline" for our daughter in like 15 seconds.
- Cueball: But this is a server!
- Besides, I had to—you were trying to name her "epidural."
- Megan: Those were good drugs.