921: Delivery Notification
Title text: You can arrange a pickup of your sword in Rivendell between the hours of noon and 7:00 PM.
In the US, when the package delivery company called UPS knocks on your door or rings your doorbell and cannot reach you, they leave delivery attempt notifications stuck to your door. It seems, as this comic hints at, the threshold for the UPS delivery person to put the notice on the door is unreasonably low. The delivery personnel do not wait very long before quickly driving away to their next delivery and leaving the yellow delivery notification in the first frame.
After missing the delivery, Cueball (who is directly referencing Lord of the Rings) asks the Elves to reforge the sword in order to go on the quest. In Lord of the Rings, Aragorn (accepting his role as the heir to the king of men) had the sword of Isildur called Narsil reforged (which symbolizes the reuniting of the race of man under one leader).
But, of course, when the elves come to deliver the new sword for the quest, the delivery person is not able to reach anyone in the house by knocking and has to leave another delivery notification.
In the title text, Rivendell is one of the home of the elves. The broken shards of Narsil lived in Rivendell with Elrond and his elves. The title text is a reference to the limited hours that you can pick up your packages from UPS.
- [The first panel is a UPS InfoNotice(r). Most of the text on it is just scribbles, though the company logo and header is clear.]
- [A person opens their door to see the InfoNotice(r). From off panel, a second person reacts.]
- Person: What! I've been here all day!
- Off-panel person 2: Huh?
- Person: They have my laptop.
- [Now both people are visible. The first is making an expansive gesture of annoyance.]
- Person 2: So get it tomorrow.
- Person: I fly out in the morning and they don't open till noon!
- Person 2: Sucks.
- [The first person is at a laptop. The second is once again off-panel.]
- Person: It's right there. I can see the UPS building on the map.
- Off-panel person 2: Ok...
- [Dramatic zoom to the person's upper torso and face, along with clenched fist.]
- Person: My laptop is there. It's mine.
- Person: I'm going to get it.
- [Even more dramatic zoom! The person's featureless face fills the panel.]
- Off-panel person 2: They won't let you.
- Person: Who are they to keep from me what is mine?
- Off-panel person 2: Dude, they—
- [The person spins, raising a finger, most likely to indicate some sort of quest at hand.]
- Person: A quest is at hand!
- Off-panel person 2: Security's gonna throw you out.
- Person: I fear neither death nor pain. But I will not go unarmed.
- (Three inset panels overlap, in a montage format. The person narrates.)
- [Elves in long robes stand around a table, on which lies a broken sword.]
- Narrating person: Light the beacons and send word to the Elves. They must reforge the sword of my fathers.
- [An Elf beats the sword together on an anvil.]
- [An Elf rides a horse, silhouetted by the full moon.]
- Narrating person: Ere dawn, I will go forth to the Sorting Depot.
- (The montage ends and normal panels resume.)
- [The Elf knocks at the door, sword in scabbard held under arm.]
- <<Knock knock knock knock>>
- [The person opens the door, to find a second InfoNotice(r) stuck on top of the first. The Elf is gone.]