Title text: 'I was pretty good at skeet shooting, but was eventually kicked off the range for catching the clay pigeons in a net and dispatching them execution-style.'
During a basketball game, the players discuss the nature of universal conformity. Facebook and Google+ are competing social networks, at the time of this comic many people were switching to Plus over Facebook leading many to speculate that Facebook was in decline and that Plus would soon be the dominant social network. (Incidentally, as of 2018, it seems that Facebook has successfully held its position as the Default Social Network™, while Plus has largely become known as "that thing YouTube tried to make us all sign up for once".)
The two players seem to have a disagreement over this. One player states that it would be ridiculous to expect everyone to move to Plus. The other player denies the notion that they have to, valuing his personal preference over conformity. He supports this by saying that his mother still uses AOL and other people continue using IRC, if each time a new dominant social network emerged and everyone switched to it neither of these things would stick around.
They are interrupted when they pass the ball to Black Hat who immediately shoots it with a crossbow bolt. Their arguments and rather intelligent discussion are derailed by the absurdity of Black Hat's reaction which is both humorous and puts the issue in stark contrast.
Black Hat neither joins in the discussion nor does he participate in the game and it seems that any offer to participate in either is met with a blunt and clear denial. He is simply not a conformist.
In the title text Black Hat continues to provide an example of his tendency to play by his own rules. A clay pigeon is a clay disc that is thrown into the air and serves as a target on a skeet shooting range. Participants are expected to shoot the pigeons with a shotgun but Black Hat would rather capture the clay pigeons and shoot them from a very close range. This is made even more humorous by the excellent crossbow skills he shows in the comic. This practice eventually got him expelled from the shooting range.
- [Two Cueball-like guys are playing basketball. The right guy (Cueball) attempts to throw the basketball through the hoop, but it bounces off down to his friend. To the right Black Hat has his back to the other two while he is looking at his phone.]
- Friend: Do you seriously think everyone will move to Plus? It was hard enough getting them on Facebook.
- [The friend has caught the rebound and now passes the basketball back to Cueball. Black Hat is not shown.]
- Cueball: Do they have to?
- Cueball: My mom still uses AOL—it doesn't mean my social life has to happen there.
- [Only Cueball is shown. He passes the basketball to the right towards the off-pannel Black Hat.]
- Cueball: Universal adoption isn't everything. I mean, IRC is still—
- [Zoom in on the basketball as an arrow pierces the ball.]
- [Cueball looks to Black Hat who has a crossbow in one hand, he is still looking at the phone in his other hand. The ball with the arrow lies between them.]
- Cueball: You're not really the "catch" type, are you?
- Black Hat: I am not.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!