Title text: 'Rating: 1/5. Room filled to brim with semen, and when front desk clerk opened mouth to talk, bedbugs poured out.'
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: 958: Hotels|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
Alright, it is pretty clear what Black Hat is doing here. He is putting bad reviews on all the hotels he has stayed at and likes and wants to stay in again, which lowers demand. But, he claims it is not low enough to put them out of business. Which seems strange to me. He knows that his reviews lowers demand enough for the hotel to lower prices, but not enough to put them out of business. That seems like a very fine line there.
The tragedy of the commons "is a dilemma arising from the situation in which multiple individuals, acting independently and rationally consulting their own self-interest, will ultimately deplete a shared limited resource, even when it is clear that it is not in anyone's long-term interest for this to happen."
I think Cueball is right and the tragedy of the commons does not apply here.
In the last frame, Black Hat references the invisible hand which is the term economists use to describe the self-regulating nature of the marketplace. Black Hat appears to be taking advantage of this invisible hand by metaphorically cutting it with a knife and eating it
- [Person 1 is sitting at a desk with a laptop, looking at a review website]
- Person 1: What's with this negative review? You *liked* that hotel.
- Black Hat Man: I have a script that posts a bad review for every hotel I stay at. It reduces demand, which means more vacancies and lower prices next time.
- Person 1: What if the place sucks?
- Black Hat Man: I change the review to positive to steer other people over there.
- Person 1: You punish companies you like!
- Black Hat Man: The odds of *my* review putting a hotel out of business are negligible.
- Person 1: If we all did that the system would collapse!
- Black Hat Man: Doesn't affect my logic. Tragedy of the commons.
- Person 1: That's not even the tragedy of the commons anymore. That's the tragedy of you're a dick.
- Black Hat Man: If you're quick with a knife, you'll find that the invisible hand is made of delicious invisible meat.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!