973: MTV Generation
Title text: If you identified with the kids from The Breakfast Club when it came out, you're now much closer to the age of Principal Vernon.
People often call today's kids “The MTV generation”, like White Hat does in the strip, because the MTV Generation were accused of bad attention spans and concentration (caused by MTV). The thing is that the term really originated about 25 years ago, so today's kids are actually one generation newer.
The Breakfast Club is an iconic movie from 1985 in which 5 very different teenagers spend a Saturday detention together at the school. Principal Vernon was the principal in the movie and was the overseer of the detention.
- [One of them damn kids that won't get OFF MY LAWN plays with some gadget-a-mabob while ignoring every damn thing around him off in the background. White Hat and Megan are in the foreground]
- White Hat: See, that's the problem with the MTV generation-no attention span.
- Megan: You know, that phrase referred to the 12-19 demographic that formed the core MTV audience in the mid-1980s.
- White Hat: Uh huh. So?
- Megan: That generation's now in their 40s.
- [White Hat scratches his head]
- White Hat: That can't be right.
- Megan: Face it: your problem with the MTV generation is their KIDS.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!