Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
Welcome to the explain xkcd wiki!
We have an explanation for all 1957 xkcd comics,
and only 29
(1%) are incomplete. Help us finish them!
Go to this comic explanation
|| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Created by a SELF-DRIVING CAR - Please change this comment when editing this page. Do NOT delete this tag too soon.|
Cueball explains being worried about autonomous cars, noting that it may be possible to fool the sensory systems of the vehicles. He then realizes that human drivers are equally vulnerable to being deceived.
White Hat and Megan point out that most road safety systems benefit from humans not actively trying to maliciously sabotage it.
The title text notes that a radical change in human behavior would likely require a major update to the software that governs how autonomous vehicles behave. Presumably because it would now have to account for humans actively attempting to kill drivers on a routine basis.
- [Cueball is speaking while standing alone in a slim panel.]
- Cueball: I worry about self-driving car safety features.
- [In a frame-less panel it turns out that Cueball is standing between White Hat and Megan, holding his arms out towards each of them, while he continues to speak.]
- Cueball: What's to stop someone from painting fake lines on the road, or dropping a cutout of a pedestrian onto a highway, to make cars swerve and crash?
- [Zoom in on Cueball's head as he continues to contemplate the situation holding a hand to his chin, while looking in White Hat's direction. Megan replies from off-panel behind him.]
- Cueball: Except... those things would also work on human drivers. What's stopping people now?
- Megan (off-panel): Yeah, causing car crashes isn't hard.
- [Zoom back out to show all three of them again.]
- White Hat: I guess it's just that most people aren't murderers?
- Cueball: Oh, right. I always forget.
- Megan: An underappreciated component of our road safety system.
The title text was published with a typo: "murderers" was misspelled as "muderers."
Is this out of date? .
Lots of people
contribute to make this wiki a success. Many of the recent contributors, listed above, have just joined
. You can do it too! Create your account here
You can read a brief introduction about this wiki at explain xkcd. Feel free to sign up for an account and contribute to the wiki! We need explanations for comics, characters, themes and everything in between. If it is referenced in an xkcd web comic, it should be here.
- There are incomplete explanations listed here. Feel free to help out by expanding them!
- We sell advertising space to pay for our server costs. To learn more, go here.
Don't be a jerk.
There are a lot of comics that don't have set-in-stone explanations; feel free to put multiple interpretations in the wiki page for each comic.
If you want to talk about a specific comic, use its discussion page.
Please only submit material directly related to (and helping everyone better understand) xkcd... and of course only submit material that can legally be posted (and freely edited). Off-topic or other inappropriate content is subject to removal or modification at admin discretion, and users who repeatedly post such content will be blocked.
If you need assistance from an admin, post a message to the Admin requests board.