Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
Welcome to the explain xkcd wiki!
We have collaboratively explained 1431 xkcd comics,
and only -3
remain. Add yours while there's a chance!
Go to this comic explanation
|Move Fast and Break Things|
Title text: I was almost fired from a job driving the hearse in funeral processions, but then the funeral home realized how much business I was creating for them.
Cueball appears to be at a job interview, proudly stating his motto to the interviewer.
"Move fast and break things" is a saying common in science and engineering industries. In that context, it means that making mistakes is a natural part of developing ground-breaking technologies and is nothing to worry about. In particular, it was adopted by Mark Zuckerberg at Facebook, (who even went as far as to say that 'breaking things' is a necessary feature of moving 'fast enough').
While in software development it is unusual for any great harm to result from breaking things, the jobs listed in the comic are ones where there are serious consequences of mistakes. Some would result in dangerous or deadly situations, while others would just end up with broken packages etc. It's not clear what job Cueball is interviewing for; one suspects it's probably one that belongs in the 'breaking things is bad' group.
The results of moving fast & breaking things for the listed jobs:
- Fedex driver - Injured/killed pedestrians, collisions with other vehicles, broken & damaged packages
- Crane operator - Damage or destruction of load, dropping loads on people below, damage to crane
- Surgeon - Incorrect operations performed, removing wrong body parts, sloppy incisions
- Air Traffic Controller - Air collisions, travel disruption, chaos
- Pharmacist - Handing out wrong drugs, resulting in illness or death
- Museum Curator - Damage or destruction of items of historical significance
- Waiter - Crockery broken, wine spilt on customers, food tipped over people
- Dog Walker - Injuring the pet, or preventing it from fulfilling its bodily functions - the major reason for a walk
- Oil Tanker Captain - Collisions between vessels, or tanker and port, oil spills
- Violinist - Ruining an ensemble's performance by playing too fast (with a higher tempo than fellow musicians), maybe even breaking the strings of the instrument
- Mars Rover Driver - Breaking an incredibly important vehicle, preventing further exploration, and ruining an extremely expensive mission
- Massage Therapist - Injuring the client, breaking bones.
The title text posits a morbid scenario where Cueball keeps running over funeral attendees, generating the need for more funerals.
[Cueball sits in a chair in a job interview with Ponytail]
- Cueball: My motto is "Move fast and break things."
Jobs I've been fired from:
- Fedex driver
- Crane operator
- Air Traffic Controller
- Museum Curator
- Dog Walker
- Oil Tanker Captain
- Mars Rover Driver
- Massage Therapist
Is this out of date? .
Lots of people
contribute to make this wiki a success. Many of the recent contributors, listed above, have just joined. You can do it too! Create your account here
You can read a brief introduction about this wiki at explain xkcd. Feel free to sign up for an account and contribute to the wiki! We need explanations for comics, characters, themes, memes and everything in between. If it is referenced in an xkcd web comic, it should be here.
- List of all comics contains a complete table of all xkcd comics so far and the corresponding explanations. The red links (like this) are missing explanations. Feel free to help out by creating them! Here's how.
Don't be a jerk. There are a lot of comics that don't have set in stone explanations; feel free to put multiple interpretations in the wiki page for each comic.
If you want to talk about a specific comic, use its discussion page.
Please only submit material directly related to —and helping everyone better understand— xkcd... and of course only submit material that can legally be posted (and freely edited.) Off-topic or other inappropriate content is subject to removal or modification at admin discretion, and users who repeatedly post such content will be blocked.
If you need assistance from an admin, post a message to the Admin requests board.