sudo !!outputs the previous command with sudo into your bash (other shells as well) history, so to bash what you said was "sudo make me a sandwich" not "sudo !!". lcarsos (talk) 16:46, 29 October 2012 (UTC)
- How many people will know the difference? In a typical Ubuntu-family install with only one human user, root doesn't have a password, but the one user who does is a sudoer (and has to use
suto act as root, rather than doing so starting at login). Promethean (talk) 06:08, 30 August 2013 (UTC)
"the user first must type their password" This is not accurate. It is the default, but many domains disable that requirement. 220.127.116.11 06:47, 14 January 2015 (UTC)
I believe the original comic actually read "Sudo bang bang" instead of "Sudo make me a sandwich". Here's a link to what I think is a copy of the original. I'm not sure which of the two is actually the original. 18.104.22.168 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- The words "bang bang" (particularly the first B) look a bit fuzzy/pixelated compared to the rest of the text, which gives me the feeling that it was edited from this one, which is the original. Zowayix (talk) 23:03, 23 January 2014 (UTC)
- On a different, but totally related note: Here you can find an aptly named little program with which the charming conversation would be: "Make me a sandwich." - "What? Make it yourself." - "Fuck." - "Okay." 22.214.171.124 08:24, 28 June 2016 (UTC)
Comment: This conversation is an easter egg in Google Now on Android tablet. Using voice search to say "make me a sandwich" will give the reply "what? make it yourself", adding "sudo" will get the response "ok". I assume the Google now implementation came later and is based on xkcd. 126.96.36.199 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- Siri will also respond "okay" if you say "sudo make me a sandwich:", though she doesn't respond with the XKCD response to "make me a sandwich". 188.8.131.52 13:32, 27 October 2015 (UTC) (MSC)
This reworked for the Make utility:
$ make sandwich Must be root $ sudo make sandwich cc sandwich mv sandwich /etc/sandwich sandwich installed in /etc $ _
- It also reminds me the Star Trek: Voyager episode where Q tampered with the ship's replicators:
- Janeway: "Coffee, black."
- Replicator: "Make it yourself."