This comic plays with the google trends for the terms blog, tumblr, wordpress and livejournal.
Ok, lets see: blog, you know what that is because
you are currently reading one (explainxkcd until recently was one). Tumblr is a more of a "micro-blogging" site, which has taken off due to the prevalence of animated gifs and funny photos. Wordpress is a type of blog software. Livejournal is a sort of personal blog site that as you can see hasn't been really popular at all since 2004-2005.
As you can see in the caption and then the image text, there is no way that newscasters will reference the "Tumblrverse" because all the reactions will be filled with animated gifs of a person in a raptor suit falling over or a dog answering a phone.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
Actually, the august 18 date was premature; blog beat tumblr over the rest of august and so they didn't cross in August. Revised data showed that the crossing actually occurred for the first time in november 2012. 188.8.131.52 22:32, 7 December 2012 (UTC)
- I updated it. Randall's guess was only a month off. --184.108.40.206 17:41, 26 April 2013 (UTC)
Guys this is sad: http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=xkcd&cmpt=q&tz= 220.127.116.11 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- This one's sadder. All of them are in decline.
XKCD seems to be accurate: https://trends.google.fr/trends/explore?date=all&q=blog,tumblr,wordpress,livejournal 18.104.22.168 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- Guys, check again, we are entering the penumbra, the sun will shine again on the blogospheroid.
- is it worth noting that blog is winning? --22.214.171.124 19:21, 14 October 2019 (UTC)
- For some definition of winning, both are far down from their glory days of 2009 and 2013 respectively. I do like how their totals over the full history are quite similar.