Difference between revisions of "1413: Suddenly Popular"
|Line 67:||Line 67:|
Revision as of 13:41, 27 August 2014
Title text: Are Your Teens Practicing Amplexus? Learn These Six Telltale Signs!
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Add explanation of each entry.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
Many phrases that used to be of mainly academic interest become popular when an important event or global trend is described with such phrases in the media. Randall presents a timeline of past examples, and predicts phrases that may be popularised in the near future.
- World Wide Web
- Though first proposed in 1989, and the first test being completed in 1990, it took until around 1994 for the world wide web to start becoming well known.
- DNA Evidence
- Prominent coverage of the O. J. Simpson murder trial in 1994 brought widespread discussion of DNA Evidence, making it famous and showing its limitations.
- Militia Movement
- After the standoffs at Ruby Ridge, Idaho and the Branch Davidians compound in Waco, Texas between U.S. Government Agencies and militias, people started becoming more aware of their presence, culminating with the 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing on the second anniversary of the fire at the Branch Davidians compound.
- Super-Maximum security prisons. Possibly referring to Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols, perpetrators of the aforementioned Oklahoma City bombing, who were incarcerated at ADX Florence, the former from the time of his arrest to 1999, and the latter from the time of his conviction to the present day.
- Butterfly Ballot
- In United States presidential election in 2000, Florida had a major recount dispute that took center stage in the election. Thus, the outcome of the 2000 United States presidential election was not known for more than a month after balloting, because of the extended process of counting and then recounting of Florida presidential ballots. The butterfly ballot was the type of ballot design used in Florida, and was a central issue in the election controversy due to its confusing design.
- The September 11th terrorist attacks brought the al-Qaeda terrorist organisation into the spotlight almost overnight.
- Wi-Fi, though developed in the '90s, first became popular in the early 2000s.
- There were a number of tsunamis around this time period, in particular the Boxing Day Tsunami which caused 230,000 deaths, and the 2006 Pangandaran earthquake and tsunami. These were some of the first tsunamis to be widely captured on camera, bringing these previously obscure seismic events into the public eye.
- In this context, the word viral is used to describe anything which spreads rapidly and widely on the internet. In particular an online video clip is said to have 'Gone Viral' or become a Viral video if it racks up a high number of views over a short time. This phenomenon has become especially prevalent due to users sharing content on Social media.
- Due to the ongoing Syrian Civil War, and the relative ease with which one can travel from Europe to Syria by way of Turkey, there is growing concern about the risk of young Muslims in Europe (and, to a lesser extent, the United States) becoming radicalized by indoctrination from fundamentalists either in their communities or on the Internet.
- Following the highly publicised 2013 leaks by Edward Snowden of information regarding the NSA's indiscriminate surveillance of global communication metadata, awareness of the privacy value of such data became widespread, where once it was limited to IT professionals.
From this point onwards, phrases were in the future at the time of publishing
- A Lahar is a mudslide caused by the eruption of a volcano that was covered with snow or ice. Randall is speculating on a future natural disaster being caused by such an incident. Bárðarbunga volcano covered with Vatnajökull glacier on Iceland increased activity just a few days before publishing of this comic and may erupt in the near future.
- Some diseases are insect-borne, meaning specific species of insects are the main vector in spreading to humans. Malaria is an example of an insect-borne disease. Randall predicts some deadly insect-borne disease will emerge around this time.
- Earth-crossers are asteroids that crosses the orbit of Earth. Most of them are harmless because they cross the orbit when Earth is not there. For this phrase to become popular, the Earth-crosser would have to become hazardous asteroid, meaining it crosses the orbit so close to Earth it may collide with it. Such an asteroid would rate 5 or more on the Torino Scale. As of 2014, there is no known asteroid either having this rating or being potentially dangerous in the early 2020s. Because of the next two phrases, it seems that Randall here predicts an asteroid of 10 on the Torino Scale, with at least 5 km in diameter and impacting in the ocean.
- Thermohaline circulation is one of the ocean circulations. This circulation equalizes the temperature and salinity of oceans in all parts of the world, stabilizing global climate. If this phrase becomes popular, the thermohaline circulation would probably become problematic or come to at least a partial halt. This may be caused by an impact of a large asteroid.
- This phrase suggests the asteroid impact caused a long impact winter. Snow-blindness is an eye condition caused by excessive exposure of cornea to UV light which leads to (temporarily if treated properly) blindness. The source of the excessive exposure is light reflected from snow and ice.
- A form of non-penetrative reproduction carried out by some animals, for example frogs, involving grasping the partner with front legs. This may be connected to the other posts (some change in human society) or it may simply be a joke at how new sexual language/fads appear and hit mainstream media from time to time (for example a number of acts gained fame from Sex and the City). This also ties in with the alt text that imagines a senstationalist headline suggesting teenagers may be doing this.
- Controlled Hydroplaning
- Hydroplaning occurs when a vehicle tire comes in contact with a puddle in such a way that the surface tension of the water does not break. The film of water, having a much lower coefficient of friction than the road surface, causes the tire to lose traction. Typically, in this scenario, the driver isn't planning to hydroplane and loses control of the vehicle. In theory, controlled hydroplaning would be achieved when the driver plans for it ahead of time. This could be necessary if, in this hypothetical future, most of the roads are flooded due to a rise in sea level.
- Paradoxical Reaction
- A Paradoxical reaction is a medical term for when the outcome of a medical treatment, typically the taking of a drug, is the opposite of that expected. For example taking a pain relieving medication make the pain worse. For this term to suddenly become well known, a large scale or particularly notable case must have taken place.
- Drone Desertion
- Desertion is the abandonment of a post or duty, usually military in nature. With the increasing use of autonomous drones by the military this hints at an event where drones 'decide' to desert, possibly due to unspecified advances in Artificial Intelligence and Robot Rights.
- Rapid Hair Growth
- I Swear Allegiance To The God-Empress In Life And In Death
- May be a reference to The God-Empress of Ponykind - a My Little Pony / Warhammer 40,000 fanfic.
- The title text is an example of a clickbait headline. Many organizations will post a link on social media to their content with a sensationalized headline in order to draw readers in. In this case, the headline is geared towards parents who are worried about their children being sexually active. Such headlines are the internets answer to television news promos ("A new trend among teens is sweeping the nation, but is it dangerous? Details at 11.").
Title: Obscure words and phrases everyone suddenly becomes very familiar with.
|<-- World Wide Web|
|<-- DNA Evidence|
|<-- Militia Movement|
|<-- Butterfly Ballot|
|<-- Controlled Hydroplaning|
|<-- Paradoxical Reaction|
|<-- Drone Desertion|
|<-- Rapid Hair Growth|
|<-- I Swear Allegiance To The God-Empress In Life And In Death|
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!