Difference between revisions of "145: Parody Week: Dinosaur Comics"
|Line 45:||Line 45:|
[[Category:Comics with color]]
[[Category:Comics with color]]
Revision as of 22:55, 26 November 2014
|Parody Week: Dinosaur Comics|
Title text: Guys: while I was writing this, I accidentally swallowed a table-size slab of drywall. I know! Wacky.
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Only the parody is explained. Not the actual subject of gramar - which for non native english speakers may not be so trivial.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
For those who haven't read it, this is a typical strip, and here's a strip dealing with the same subject as the parody (but posted five years after this xkcd comic). See also this particular example where the title text actually refer to Randall and xkcd.
Randall makes several shots at recurring themes in Dinosaur Comics. T-Rex, the green dinosaur, is bold and enthusiastic, discussing various topics, a favorite of which appears to be linguistics. Dromiceiomimus, the white dinosaur in the third panel, usually responds calmly to T-Rex's discussions. Utahraptor, the orange dinosaur, typically contradicts T-Rex, but Randall subverts this pattern and has him agree. The comic suggests that the perpetual disagreement stems from a 'rift' in the author's mind, which would be healed if only he lived in a world where there were a land bridge between Asia and North America.
Just like xkcd, Dinosaur Comics also has title texts. Ryan's title texts tend to be bizarre non-sequiturs, and the title text in the parody seems to be a riff on this.
Note that the last word by the T-rex is split over the last two frames and it is divided in "the wrong" place: subc- -onscious. With the other text above and below "-onscious?" in the last panel this can be rather confusing. Probably something Randall is very c-onscious about!
This comic is a part of the Parody Week, just joking about other webcomics.
- 141: Parody Week: Achewood
- 142: Parody Week: Megatokyo
- 143: Parody Week: TFD and Natalie Dee
- 144: Parody Week: A Softer World
- 145: Parody Week: Dinosaur Comics
- T-Rex: THINGS I AM UPPITY ABOUT: "They" as a third-person singular gender-free pronoun.
- T-Rex: I'm all for it!
- Dromiceiomimus: But isn't that terrible grammar?
- T-Rex: Only by recent convention! It's been in use that way for centuries, and its use is widely accepted! ALSO: this lets us avoid ridiculous constructs like "he/she", "s/he", "xe" or "hirs"!
- Utahraptor: T-Rex, I... agree.
- T-Rex: What?
- Utahraptor: That sounds good to me!
- Utahraptor: Normally I'd jump in with an objection, but I think your point makes sense.
- T-Rex: Could it be that the rift in our author's mind has finally healed? Is he no longer locked in perpetual war with the self-doubt that lurks in his subc-
- Narrator: IN A WORLD WHERE THERE IS STILL A LAND BRIDGE BETWEEN ASIA AND NORTH AMERICA FOR SOME REASON:
- T-Rex: -onscious?
- Narrator: ALSO HOW ABOUT IN THIS WORLD EVERYONE IS BICURIOUS
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!