1465: xkcd Phone 2
|xkcd Phone 2|
Title text: Washable, though only once.
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Some features still not explained|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
This is a followup to https://xkcd.com/1363/, which debuted the original xkcd Phone. Like xkcd Phone 1, this comic continues to parody modern smartphone advertisement by imitating a promotional image for a fictional phone. Like the previous XKCD Phone, the comic touts a variety of features which are either pointless, misleading, or physically impossible.
- MaxHD 350 pixels is not very impressive: Each would be about 0.5x0.5 cm. Even if it implies 350 pixels along the edge this is still less than standard definition TV (PAL gives 576 lines of horizontal resolution). Likely a reference to HD+, FullHD, QuadHD and other marketing expressions for screen resolutions, by which common users are often confused.
- Always on Speaker: An always on microphone is a genuine feature. It allows speech control software such as "Okay Google" or "Siri" to respond without having to be turned on. An always on speaker would be less useful especially if it implies the phone is always making noise.
- Blood Pressure reliever: This appears to be where a real phone would have its front facing camera.
- Auto-Rotating Case: Phones often feature an auto-rotating display (to treat the phone as portrait or landscape), but this is useless, as a human may easily rotate the phone manually. To make a case that did not "auto"-rotate with the phone would be much harder; all cases rotate with the phone.
- Ribbed: A reference to ribbed condoms, which are often advertised as superior to standard ones
- Waterproof (Inside only) But waterproofing is done to the outside to prevent water from getting in, not to prevent water from escaping.
- Googleable Another non-feature. Advertising as ...able is a way for marketing to add features, without adding features. This may be (for example) a recyclable paper bag: paper is normally recyclable. Any term may be 'googled' so being "googleable" is not an actual feature.
- Cheek toucher: The part that would touch the cheek if held in the right hand and used as a mobile telephone.
- Cries if lost: Actually useful function, for it would help the owner find the cellphone in case it was lost. It refers to people's habit of calling their own cellphones to help find it. It also resembles the first xkcd phone's functions of 'Screaming when falling' and 'Saying hi when lit'.
- Bug drawer: This is most likely the cover for other ports, though looks like a small drawer, capable of only holding bug-sized items. Possibly a joke on software bugs, which would, being virtual rather than physical, easily fit inside this area. May also be a reference to "Phone may attract/trap insects; this is normal" from the original xkcd Phone comic.
- Coin slot: In most phones, this would be the charging port. Payphones have coin slots.
- Scroll lock: A computer key on most keyboards which is practically never used. (Despite a previous xkcd strip it was not invented by Steven Chu.)
- OS by Stackoverflow®: Stackoverflow.com is a public question/answer forum for programmers, indicating that the operating system of the XKCD Phone 2 was developed by anonymous internet volunteers rather than by a professional development team, or that professional developers make use a lot of this forum to solve their coding issues.
- 3D Materials: All real materials are three-dimensional, thus not an actual feature.
- Dog Noticer: Does this alert the user to nearby dogs, or does it produce dog control notices and orders?
- FitBit® Fitness Evaluator FitBit make wristbands that measure heartrate and as an aid to planning an exercise programme.
- Volume and density control: A play of words on "volume" as in sound, and "volume" as in a physical property like density.
The title text: It is washable but only once (as washing it will ruin it).
[An image of a phone is here. Coming off from it are many labels.] [Clockwise, from the top left.] - MaxHD: Over 350 pixels per screen - Always-on Speaker - Blood Pressure Reliever - Auto-Rotating Case - Ribbed - Waterproof (Interior Only) - Googleable - Cheek Toucher - Cries if Lost - Bug Drawer - Coin Slot - Scroll Lock - OS By Stackoverflow® - 3D Materials - Dog Noticer - FitBit® Fitness Evaluator - Volume and Density Control
Introducing the xkcd Phone 2 A phone for your other hand®
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!