Title text: Scientists are also sexy, let's not forget that.
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: |
Please include the reason why this explanation is incomplete, like this:
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
This comic is a reference to Young Earth Creationism, which includes the belief that the earth has only existed for about 6,000 years. Young Earth Creationism is mainly based on literal interpretations of the Bible. The professor is originally not bothered by the fact that someone believes this, since the person believing it is a nut who can be easily forgotten about because they're denying obvious truths. Then she hears that the person in question is a US senator. The fact that someone with considerable influence (like a Senator) believes in Young Earth Creationism is unsettling because they're not someone powerless and on the fringe. They're someone who can spread their false, zany beliefs, and perhaps even be taken seriously due to their authority.
- [Megan and a professor stand together, with another figure in the distance.]
- Megan: Professor, that man claims the earth is 6,000 years old!
- Professor: So? Just use your head and don't concern yourself overmuch with what other people think.
- Megan: But he says the fossils in the mountains were put there in a flood!
- Professor: Well, evidence suggests that they were not.
- Megan: But he--
- [A mountain landscape.]
- Professor: A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them.
- [Megan and professor again.]
- Megan: But he believes the silliest things!
- Professor: So?
- Professor: The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about science is that it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes.
- Megan: But he's a US Senator!
- Professor: Ah, then yes, we do have a bit of a situation.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!