Title text: Does it get taller first and then widen, or does it reach full width before getting taller, or alternate, or what?
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: First edit adding table. No real explanation yet...|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
Cueball (representing Randall) is uncomfortable about talking with couples who have just had a baby, as he never knows what to say. He has many strange thoughts and/or reasonable questions, that you just do not mention in front of happy parents showing off their precious baby for the first time. (See the table below for his thoughts.)
|Wow, it's getting so big! Unlike most babies, which stay the same size forever.||The first part of the sentence is quite a normal response, if it is not the first time the person sees the baby. But the second part is something Cueball adds in his head, because newborn babies are supposed to grow fast, and it would be strange/bad if the baby had not grown considerably if it had been some month since last time.|
|Hi! I'm talking to a baby!||People often talk to the baby, rather than the parents. This makes no sense for Cueball, as the baby doesn't understand him. Should he mention this?|
|What brand is it?||Usually it may be OK to ask what sex the baby is. The normal question would be Is it a boy or a girl. Those are the two "brands" a baby comes in.|
|Wow, definitely much smaller than a regular person!||As all babies are... Typically a real response would be Wow, they are so small.|
|You sure did make that.|
|★★★★☆ great baby.||It is custom to praise parents for their lovely baby, but do not ever rate it with stars! In 1608: Hoverboard Megan rates a sea, something also not usually done. (At least she gives less stars than Cueball does for the baby). According to 1098: Star Ratings this means the baby is OK.|
|It doesn't really look like you since you're not a baby.||A common comment is He totally looks like you. What people mean is that they can see features in the face (he has his fathers nose but his mothers eyes). But of course given that the parents are adults they of course no longer look like a baby. Often it could be speculated that people just say this because they wish to see the similarities and to please the parents (hopefully).|
|So do they learn words one at a time alphabetically or can you pick the order or what?||Here Cueball displays interest in the process of learning to speak a language as a baby. Very interesting subject, but since this is a very small baby not something first time parents for instance would have thought about yet. Learning one word at a time seems reasonable, but the last two suggestions that they learn alphabetically or in a specifik order the parents chooses is plain silly.|
|I hope it does a good job.|
|Title text: Does it get taller first and then widen, or does it reach full width before getting taller, or alternate, or what?|
- [Cueball is standing in front of a family consisting a Cueball-like guy holding a newborn baby, with spiky hair, in a blanket and Megan. Cueball is thinking lots of thoughts about what to say to the couple upon seeing their baby for the first time. There is thus a huge thinking bubble in the top of the panel above the characters. Everything in this bubble has been crossed out like taking a pencil and drawing lines on top of the text, but it can still be read. After using all this time thinking, Cueball finally decides what to say, only to immediately regret this as can be seen in a small thought bubble below his spoken line, which is between the huge and the small bubble.]
- Cueball (thoughts that are crossed out):
- Wow, it's getting so big! Unlike most babies, which stay the same size forever.
- Hi! I'm talking to a baby!
- What brand is it?
- Wow, definitely much smaller than a regular person!
- You sure did make that.
- ★★★★☆ great baby.
- It doesn't really look like you since you're not a baby.
- So do they learn words one at a time alphabetically or can you pick the order or what?
- I hope it does a good job.
- Cueball: Wow, that's a really cool baby!
- Cueball (thinking): Dammit.
- [Caption below the panel:]
- I can never figure out what to say about babies.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!