1714: Volcano Types
Title text: It's hard living somewhere with antlions, because every time you find one of their traps, you feel compelled to spend all day constructing a tiny model of Jabba's sail barge next to it.
This comic presents a table of 12 different types of volcano. Split into 3 rows, the first 4 are authentic types of volcano; while the remaining 8 are parodies.
- Cinder cone: small, steep-sided volcano formed of scoria and ash.
- Shield volcano: wide, rounded volcano formed of solidified lava flow.
- Stratovolvano: large volcano formed of layers (strata) from multiple eruptions.
- Somma volcano: new volcanic cone in the middle of an old collapsed volcanic crater.
- Metasomma volcano: nested layers of new volcanoes formed inside of old ones. "Meta" is a prefix that often denotes recursion.
- Waffle cone: type of pastry that ice cream is served in, wholly unrelated to volcano cones.
- Science fair cone: common elementary science experiment that is often used as a project for science fairs. A structure is built to resemble a model volcano and is filled with a mix of baking soda, vinegar, and sometimes food coloring. The reaction between baking soda and vinegar quickly produces a large amount of carbon dioxide, creating a foam that overflows and mimics a volcanic eruption. This is also the subject of 1611: Baking Soda and Vinegar.
- Doot cone: See http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/skull-trumpet
- Antlion: burrowing insect that digs a conical hole to catch prey at the larvael stage
- Inverse Volcano: as the name implies, a regular volcano but reversed. A real volcano consists of solid rock on the outside, magma on the inside and spewing lava from the top.
- Ghost Vent: cone with ghosts coming out of it. It may be a reference to Scientology, where part of the faith states that the souls of aliens were stored in a volcano from which they later escaped. The ghosts could also refer to the Pac-Man video game.
- Pedant's Bane: the joke is that people sometimes confuse magma and lava, which are different names for the same heated liquid rock. Magma becomes lava when it emerges from a volcano. Pedant's Bane is therefore impossible by definition but if it were possible, then a pedant correcting someone's description of it would be wrong. Alternatively, the illustration itself could be Pedant's Bane because a pedant would be lured into pointing out how wrong it is.
The title text refers to a famous scene in Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi where Jabba the Hutt intends to feed Luke Skywalker to the sarlaac, an underground creature that builds a huge funnel trap similar to that of an antlion. Jabba's distinctive sail barge features prominently in that scene.
[Twelve drawings of different volcano types, some real and some nonsense]
- - Cinder Cone
- - Shield Volcano
- - StratoVolcano
- - Somma Volcano
- - MetaSomma Volcano
- - Waffle Cone
- - Science Fair Cone
- - Doot Cone
- - Antlion
- - Inverse Volcano
- - Ghost Vent
- - Pedant's Bane
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!