|| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Please change this comment when editing this page. Neeeds someone who knows more about Unicode and Emojis. Do NOT delete this tag too soon.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
This comic relates to the recent Unicode proposal for a vomiting emoji. Megan believes that there should be vomiting versions of all emoji. She writes up a proposal, putting the new modifier at U+1F93F. Six example emojis are given, being progressively more nonsensical, starting with a vomiting cowboy and ending with a vomiting hand. Randall states that his favorite possibility is a winking face vomiting.
Unicode is the computing industry standard for representing text. More recent additions have included emoji characters, such as grinning face (😁) or a clap symbol (👏)
Unicode also supports "combining modifiers". These allow, for example, accents to be placed on characters that do not have an accented version elsewhere. There are also modifiers for emojis, usually intended to modify skin tone. Megan's proposal is to add another one of these modifiers for vomiting, so that any emoji could conceivably be vomiting.
A list of the emojis:
Vomiting Cowboy: This seems reasonable and not much worse off than the regular one.
Vomiting Statue of Liberty: Given the turbulent political climate in present-day America, this emoji might see a lot of use by opinionated folks.
Vomiting Dove: As the dove is usually seen as a symbol of peace, a vomiting one could be construed as an omen for war.
Vomiting Moon: This might seem just a little odd as the moon is made of rock and can not vomit..
Vomiting rocket ship: This might be a reference to the "Vomit Comet" rocket that astronauts train on. Also, space travel can be associated with vomiting.
Vomiting Hand: This one is just bizarre. Maybe it could be used in the context of some horror flick?
In 1726: Unicode, Randall proposed a "brontosaurus" emoji in Unicode.
- [Cueball, looking at his smartphone, approaches Megan who is sitting at a desk working on her laptop.]
- Cueball: The proposed emoji for Unicode 10.0 look good.
- Megan: Hmm. [vomiting emoji] "U+1F92E FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH VOMITING"
- [Cueball is holding his device lower and no longer looking at it.]
- Cueball: Eww.
- Megan: Really, "vomiting" should be a combining modifier, so you can use it to make a vomiting version of any emoji.
- Cueball: Umm.
- Megan: I'm gonna write up a proposal.
- U+1F93F VOMITING MODIFIER
- [cowboy emoji vomiting] U+1F920 U+1F93F VOMITING COWBOY
- [Statue of Liberty emoji vomiting] U+1F5FD U+1F93F VOMITING STATUE OF LIBERTY
- [dove emoji vomiting, with an olive branch near its head] U+1F54A U+1F93F VOMITING DOVE
- [first quarter moon with face emoji vomiting] U+1F31B U+1F93F VOMITING MOON
- [rocket ship emoji with vomit coming from its window] U+1F680 U+1F93F VOMITING ROCKET SHIP
- [hand emoji with a hole in it, vomit is coming from that hole] U+270B U+1F93F VOMITING HAND
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
Did anyone else think of the Akatsuki member Deidara from Naruto when they saw the vomiting hand emoji? GoonPontoon (talk) 17:52, 20 March 2017 (UTC) - Nope, of Ygo from Unspeakable Vault of Doom. 188.8.131.52 22:14, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
Think of the "vomiting hand" emoji as a response to the "talk to the hand" meme.
The "Vomit Comet" was not a rocket, it was the name of NASA's KC-135 aircraft which simulated weightlessness on parable flights. Given that rockets must be airtight, it is a bit strange that you could vomit out of a rocket.--184.108.40.206 22:19, 20 March 2017 (UTC)
- You must be fun at parties.--220.127.116.11 13:29, 23 March 2017 (UTC)
I wish Randall used a vomiting face vomiting (using the vomiting modifier) or a unicorn puking rainbows (U+1F984 U+1F93F U+1F308 🦄🤢🌈). --Björn Eberhardt 08:01, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
For those thinking of making a real proposal, it's not actually needed. You can combine any characters with the special combining character. Originally intended for languages such as arabic, it works with emoji too.--Henke37 (talk) 10:03, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
There seems to be a minor edit war over citing the fact that the Moon is made of rock. I think we should just remove the citation entirely as well as the . Should I go through with this? RamenChef (talk) 15:46, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
- Keep "Citation Needed" -- it's the best laugh I've had all day (and references xkcd #285)
- The emoji is a Man in the Moon vomiting and "he" is made of imagination, not rock. OTOH, the moon has vomited lava in the past, but can AFAIK no longer do so RIIW - Ponder it (talk) 18:34, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
- Citation needed ref to 285 should only be used when a citation is needed! And of course there should not be one here --Kynde (talk) 20:09, 22 March 2017 (UTC)
- What? No, Citation needed is a joke. Hence why we link to a joke, not to some page about actually needing a citation. The moon being made of rock gets "citation needed" as a joke about it actually being made of green cheese. This is exactly how Randal often uses it. Trlkly (talk) 00:52, 23 March 2017 (UTC)
- The problem is, the  is what started the edit war in the first place. RamenChef (talk) 00:52, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
Should the incomplete tag be removed? Dontknow (talk) 21:09, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
I tried making a few of these: https://github.com/WriterArtistCoder/vomit-emoji
WriterArtistCoder (talk) 18:03, 23 May 2020 (UTC)
- Emoji Madness?
Anyone else think that the whole set needs a complete overhaul as there are seven different co?ours of binder, but no computer mouse or a chop / steak to name a few omissions.
Also the latest iPhone set have Male and Female versions of cowboy, police, guardsman et al. With some of them the difference iis small, but in all of them the female version appears to have her moth open, whereas the male ones do not. Is this sexist? RIIW - Ponder it (talk) 18:58, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
There is a computer mouse emoji http://emojipedia.org/three-button-mouse/ and "cut of meat" emoji http://emojipedia.org/cut-of-meat/
UNICODE is always accepting ideas for new emoji, as long as you're willing to write up a proposal proving the emoji would be useful: http://unicode.org/emoji/selection.html
--18.104.22.168 02:37, 22 March 2017 (UTC)
- What about proposal? And I'm asking srsly.
Anyone can write and send proposal to Unicode Consortium, and I was thinking - anyone did it actually / gonna do it?
--Marsjaninzmarsa (talk) 23:49, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
Barf Bold A Decorative Typeface
B. Kliban from 1982
--22.214.171.124 03:02, 24 March 2017 (UTC)
- Got that in TTF format? RamenChef (talk) 21:06, 3 September 2018 (UTC)
- Did Randall goof, or is it part of the joke?
Megan proposes a single emoji, "U+IF93F" as the vomit modifier. How is possible, then, that in each implementation the vomit is a different shape and location? Is it possible to create an emoji that is self-aware and reconfigures itself as needed?These Are Not The Comments You Are Looking For (talk) 15:14, 25 March 2017 (UTC)
- Yes. To cite two examples I'm familiar with: The Fitzpatrick scale skin colour modifiers (U+1F3FB through U+1F3FF) affect whatever part of the emoji (hands, faces, etc.) is considered skin; and many of the "diacritical" or "accent mark" modifiers adjust their position as needed for whatever letter they're being added to, and many of those modifiers can make tall stacks. Mrob27 (talk) 02:03, 6 April 2017 (UTC)
- Error in the description text
The statement "emojis...aren't typically perceived as parts of text" is clearly incorrect. The entire purpose for which emojis were created is to express emotions in text (which can be difficult to convey in words); emojis are inherently part of text.