Title text: WHEN I WAS ON A BOAT I DROPPED MY PHONE CAN U LOOK FOR IT
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: First edit.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
The NOAAS Okeanos Explorer, named after the Greek (and Roman) personification of the sea Okeanos, is a vessel that is currently exploring the Central Pacific Basin. It livestreams the video feed  of its deep sea exploration online.
This comic seems to be a representation of the livestream on YouTube . The chat section for the actual livestream is disabled, but the comic adds some humoristic examples of what the chat section would look like. Several of the examples are the product of commenters falsely believing the livestream is that of a game, probably since most livestreams on youtube are of people playing games; Randall is joking about the viewers of said streams in particular not being able to tell the difference, as well as youtube commenters in general. Randall mentioned the ridiculousness of comments on YouTube before in 202: YouTube and 481: Listen to Yourself.
Randall states that he likes to view the stream and commends them on disabling the chat section.
|Fake||A very common YouTube comment expressing skepticism, for example saying that the content is edited or computer generated.|
|Who else is watching this in 2017?||This type of comment appears frequently on videos, as a kind of community bonding over discovering or revisiting older content. It is not relevant here, as this is a live feed in 2017.|
|Is this prerendered or will these graphics be in the game?||Commenter probably thinks this is a trailer for a video game with hyperrealistic graphics.|
|That squid is a neoliberal.||Likely an attempt at trolling; anyone with even a passing knowledge of marine life will be annoyed that the commenter confused the onscreen jellyfish with a squid, and everyone else will be annoyed by the politically-charged accusation in a place where such conversation clearly does not belong.|
|Why do the McElroy's never talk?||A reference to The Adventure Zone, a Dungeons & Dragons podcast hosted by the McElroy Brothers and their dad. In the world of The Adventure Zone, there is a creature called the Voidfish, which is generally interpreted to look like a jellyfish.|
|Stop messing around and eat the fish already.||Possibly a gamer or food vlog watcher.|
|This is why Trump won.||Another unwelcome injection of politics.|
|Why do you never craft anything?||A comment referencing the game Subnautica where a key aspect to survival is crafting materials.|
|This is just a distraction||Commenter thinks people should be focused on other things which are more important. Possibly political comment. Possibly conspiracy theorist.|
|Something is wrong with that baby giraffe.||A live video of a giraffe in labor and giving birth was viral in April 2017. This commenter is either confused about which video they're watching, and is concerned that the creature on screen (a jellyfish) looks unlike a healthy baby giraffe, or is feigning this confusion as a joke.|
The title text is a comment by someone who allegedly lost their phone in the ocean, which is not a small place and wants to use Okeanos' resources to find it.
- [The comic takes place during a typical YouTube live-stream. The live-stream is from "OceanExplorerGov", using a submarine to explore the Central Pacific Basin. On the left hand side, the live video feed is playing, showing the ocean's depths. On the right hand side, the chat (typically shown in live-streams) is displayed]
- User #1: Fake
- User #2: Who else is watching this in 2017?
- User #3: Is this pre-rendered or will this be in the game?
- User #4: That squid is a neo-liberal
- User #5: Why do the McElroys never talk
- User #6: This is why Trump won
- User #7: Stop messing around and eat the fish already.
- User #8: Why do you never craft anything
- User #9: This is just a distraction
- User #10: Something is wrong with that baby giraffe
- Caption: I love watching the Okeanos Ocean Exploration live-stream, but it's probably for the best that they don't enable chat.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!