Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
|| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Created by a Rickroller - Please change this comment when editing this page. Do NOT delete this tag too soon.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
This comic is another one in the "feeling old" series. This one deals with the memes Rickrolling and "want to feel old?" (title text).
In the comic, Megan and Cueball discuss the 10th anniversary of the peak of rickrolling, and after a beat panel, note that they are old.
Cueball's comment in the final panel, "We've known each other for so long", is the first line of the second verse of the song "Never Gonna Give You Up" on which rickrolling is based.
|| This transcript is incomplete. Please help editing it! Thanks.
- Cueball: This month marks ten years since the peak of the Rickrolling phenomenon.
- Megan: Seriously?
- Megan: Wow. Happy anniversary, I guess.
- Cueball: We've known each other for so long.
- Megan: We really have.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
I wonder if Randall realizes that, if he had made this comic #1987 instead, it would coincide with the release year of Never Gonna Give You Up.
Speaking of which, who's excited for xkcd #2018 and the fact that such a thing will never happen again?
126.96.36.199 19:36, 16 April 2018 (UTC)
- Is that a ref to 1340: Unique Date? ;-) --Kynde (talk) 19:57, 16 April 2018 (UTC)
- More like it'll be the one and only time a comic number appears in its namesake year. :) I REALLY hope Randall does something with that. NiceGuy1 (talk) 02:58, 17 April 2018 (UTC)
- Well he has three months to think of ideas... So hopefully something interesting. And I can't believe it's been 10 years since that April fools joke! Herobrine (talk) 08:18, 17 April 2018 (UTC)
- Thanks NiceGuy1, I missed that completely. Yes it will be interesting to see if he uses it for anything special. Not always the case... --Kynde (talk) 10:35, 18 April 2018 (UTC)
"Want to feel old?" feels old to me. I wish xkcd would stop overplaying it. Alas, it seems Randall's never gonna give it up, which is always gonna let me down. Promethean (talk) 22:16, 16 April 2018 (UTC)
This reminds me of his guatemala comic, in that they both make a parallel reference. It would be interesting to see what Randal was thinking when he created the formula. That being said, this explanation probably needs to be completely re-written per rule 6. Please work on this immediately. 127.86.43.18 (talk) 3:27, 17 April 2018 (UTC)
- I see what you did there :)188.8.131.52 03:35, 17 April 2018 (UTC)
- I fixed the link under "the formula" so that it works properly.These Are Not The Comments You Are Looking For (talk) 02:31, 22 April 2018 (UTC)
"We've known each other for so long." So did Cueball and Megan meet by either of them rickrolling other? 184.108.40.206 13:25, 17 April 2018 (UTC)
The explanation says Cueball and Megan met 10 years ago at the height of the Rickrolling phenomenon, which is probably not true. While that's a possible explanation for why she said "Happy Anniversary, I guess", I think it's more likely she was saying Happy Anniversary to the phenomenon itself, not to Cueball, as XKCD has been around longer than 10 years and they've been there from early on. While Cueball's "We've known each other for so long" would seem to support talking about their friendship, it's also just a cute quip from the song that tangentially comments on their relationship. With the idea that Megan is probably not commenting on their relationship but rather the song, could someone rewrite the explanation? -boB (talk) 15:27, 17 April 2018 (UTC)
- Well to me it is pretty obvious that this reminds them that they met 10 years ago, and wauw is it 10 years... Also it has not necessarily anything to do with the age of xkcd. It could be that Randall met his wife 10 years ago? They where married 7 years ago... --Kynde (talk) 10:35, 18 April 2018 (UTC)
- I side with boB here - to me it appears to obviously mean the phenomenon's anniversary, not their relationship's. The last panel IMO means "We've known each other for so long that we already knew each other when this phenomenon started." 220.127.116.11 14:55, 18 April 2018 (UTC)
In panel 4, is Cueball attempting to Rickroll Megan but it's a bit lame and predictable, the silence in panel 3 showing he's setting up the punchline? Megan's response shows a certain lack of enthusiasm, suggesting it's not only Cueball's wit but also their relationship/acquaintance that she's considering? NotTonightDear (talk) 16:47, 17 April 2018 (UTC)
- I think he's just making a joke, and she's either rolling with it or didn't even catch it. -boB (talk) 17:17, 18 April 2018 (UTC)