It all started here.
SOON THE TRUTH WILL BE REVEALED
- [A boy sits in a barrel which is floating in an ocean.]
- Boy: i wonder where i'll float next?
- [A smaller frame with a zoom out of the boy in the barrel seen from afar. The barrel drifts into the distance. Nothing else can be seen.]
- This was the 5th comic originally posted to LiveJournal.
- Original title: "Barrel"
- Original Randall quote: "He's fairly upbeat about the situation!"
- This was one of the thirteen first comics posted to LiveJournal within 12 minutes on Friday September 30, 2005.
- This comic was posted on xkcd when the web site opened on Sunday the 1st of January 2006.
- It was posted along with all 41 comics posted before that on LiveJournal as well as a few others.
- The latter explaining why the numbers of these 41 LiveJournal comics ranges from 1-44.
- This is the first of the original drawings that was not drawn on checkered paper.
- A more realistic description of the behavior of a barrel in water is here: Wired Science: Should Dwarves Stand Up in Floating Barrels?
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
Doesn't his big interactive piece (#1110) refer to this one? -- 188.8.131.52 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- It does. There's a note somewhere in that explanation page referring back to this page. Davidy22[talk] 09:28, 2 December 2012 (UTC)
This comic under my interpretation is that like the kid in the barrel his mind was wandering at the time of his drawing of the comic and it reprsents his wandering mind as he may be bored and it is in the middle of nowhere but at the same time it is somewhere. but its waiting to get someplace (an island?)
--TheWeatherMan (talk) 13:57, 23 January 2013 (UTC)TheWeatherMan
- when ever I feel isolated from society, I like to contemplate the ladders I could build for them to see things from my perspective. We will never manage to teach kids how to exist in chaos, we need to outsource our thinking, share ideas, to see new options for each of the impossible answers. Sic-if is here to stay, because it's the only hint we will get of the perfection they want us to achieve. Anything less then the total perfection is unsustainable. - 184.108.40.206 14:22, 3 March 2013 (UTC)
It's been over five years, so I think I should be that one annoying person who breaks unspoken streaks:
If an endless ocean were a representation of life, I'd be the one who's fasioned myself an oar (or I can just use my hands to paddle if I can't get an oar). I then tell the floating people around me, "May the waves bring you luck." I proceed to go toward a location on the horizon that appears arbitrary but is actually something really cool, and then I greet all the other people who have chosen to go here also or were brought by fate/the sea (basically synonymous). Finally, I do cool things. Anyway, this comments section has been very inactive. No purpose, just wanted to motivate y'all to set goals for yourself and let you know that good things will happen if you do. For now, though, it's night, and the others are asleep in their barrels. Good night and why did I write this 220.127.116.11 07:01, 10 June 2018 (UTC)
Working theory: this IS Beret Guy. This is I think years before his first appearance, and Beret Guy is apparently younger than anyone else who isn't explicitly a child. So this is him. The youngest form of the one who had nothing but wonder...