2024: Light Hacks
Title text: Life hack: Wait for an advanced civilization to be briefly distracted, then sneak in and construct a slightly smaller Dyson sphere inside theirs.
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Created by Me - Please change this comment when editing this page. Do NOT delete this tag too soon.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
"Life hacking" is the practice of using common everyday items in novel ways to increase the convenience or enjoyment of daily activities. This comic pokes fun at the many blogs and video channels that purport to cover life hacking tips, but merely point out obvious or intended uses for products or well known techniques as low effort clickbait.
Dyson sphere is a hypothetical energy-collecting megastructure encompassing a star and named after the physicist and mathematician Freeman Dyson. Dyson spheres are generally not intended for lightbulbs. Freeman Dyson argued that Dyson spheres, if they existed, could be found by infrared surveys, as large objects that would emmit infrared radiations.
IKEA pendant lampshades are spherical shells that surround the bulb. Megan claims she has tried to use infrared surveys to find Dyson spheres at Ikea's, without success.
|This transcript is incomplete. Please help editing it! Thanks.|
- Megan: I discovered a cool life hack -- you can put a white sheet behind a lightbulb to reflect more light.
- Off-panel voice: I'm ... not sure that's a life hack.
- Megan: And you can put a sheet in front to diffuse the light.
- Off-panel voice: So you've invented the lampshade.
- Megan: Life hacks!
- Megan: Freeman Dyson suggested that advanced civilizations would build spherical shells that surrounded their bulbs, redirecting 100% of their energy.
- Off-panel voice: Yes, they have those at IKEA.
- Megan: Well, they might. Infrared surveys are inconclusive.
- Off-panel voice: You know you can just check their website.
- Megan: Ooh, great life hack!
- Off-panel voice: No!
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!