| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Created by a NUCLEAR BOT. Please mention here why this explanation isn't complete. Do NOT delete this tag too soon.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
Ponytail and White Hat discuss the HBO miniseries Chernobyl which depicts the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear plant disaster. White Hat asks Ponytail for an explanation of how the meltdown occurred, but his understanding of science is so limited that he finds even the first part of the first sentence of Ponytail's explanation too complicated to understand.
Ponytail starts explaining the role of the graphite in the reactor's core as the neutron moderator, but White Hat immediately interrupts her, as if he doesn't understand the word graphite. Ponytails tries starting the explanation from another angle, stating that the nuclear reactor was inadvertently put in an unstable state moments before the disaster, but White Hat interrupts again. Realizing that White Hat does not understand scientific terms of graphite and reactor, Ponytails resolves to use plain words every person should know, and to employ a metaphor.
She compares the purpose of a nuclear reactor as a heat-generating device to primitively humans' way of heating themselves by starting a fire. She goes on describing how a fire can be started by banging rocks (pieces of flint) to create sparks, which in turn would light a fire. Seeing that White Hat understands this simple activity, she compares starting a runaway nuclear fission reaction to banging rocks too hard, presumably making a huge spark, which will harm the person wielding the rocks.
|This transcript is incomplete. Please help editing it! Thanks.|
- [Ponytail and White Hat facing each other.]
- Ponytail: Did you like Chernobyl?
- White Hat: Yeah!
- White Hat: But I still don't understand the meltdown. Can you explain it...simpler?
- [Zoom in to closeup of Ponytail holding one hand out with palm up, with White Hat off-panel to the right]
- Ponytail: Well, the graphite--
- White Hat (off-panel): Already too complicated.
- Ponytail: Uh...they put the reactor in an unstable--
- White Hat (off-panel): Nope, sorry.
- [Zoom back out to full view of Ponytail and White Hat, with Ponytail holding hand to her chin]
- Ponytail: Hmm, ok.
- Ponytail: Long ago, humans banged rocks together to make fire.
- White Hat: Ok...
- [Full view of Ponytail and White Hat, who has both hands held straight out to both sides]
- Ponytail: 30 years ago, we banged some rocks together too hard.
- White Hat: Oh no!
- Ponytail: Yeah, we messed up real bad.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!