2326: Five Word Jargon
|Five Word Jargon|
Title text: My other (much harder) hobby is trying to engineer situations where I have an excuse to use more than one of them in short succession.
| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Created by BARYOGENESIS. Please mention here why this explanation isn't complete. Do NOT delete this tag too soon.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
Another comic in Randall's My Hobby series, this hobby involves "collecting" and presumably using five-words-long technical jargon. In the comic, White Hat uses one of the phrases when talking to Cueball, causing Cueball to look up the jargon on his phone, or possibly record the words for future usage. Randall then proceeds to list 4 such phrases as a caption below the panel.
In the title text, Randall says that he has a second hobby to find or create situations to use multiple such phrases. It would seem difficult to combine the 4 listed phrases in a conversation, as they are from 4 separate fields (medicine, economics/statistics, biology, and physics/cosmology), but he has succeeded in using them close together in this comic.
Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt placement:
- A transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) is "an artificial channel within the liver that connects the inflow portal vein and the outflow hepatic vein". It is used to treat various intestinal bleeding. This term can be found in this publication: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16850140/
- the shunt is inserted via the jugular vein
- within the liver
- blood is shunted from the portal vein (draining blood from the intestines to the liver) to the systemic circulation (returning blood from the liver to the heart)
- a tube within the body that bypasses the normal flow of something (whether a natural defect, or an artificial device)
- the operation to insert it
Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity model:
- A generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity (GARCH) model is a statistical model for economic research. An autoregressive model of a time series is one that uses previous values of the time series to predict the next value. A conditional probability model is one that divides data into inputs and outputs and models the relation between them using a conditional probability distribution of the outputs given the inputs. A heteroskedastic distribution is one in which the variance (or standard deviation) of a random variable is not the same across all values of the variable. This phrase can be found in this publication: https://www.scirp.org/html/11-1241334_99870.htm
Unicellular diazotrophic cyanobacteria group A:
- A unicellular diazotrophic cyanobacteria is a single-celled type of bacteria that is able to convert atmospheric nitrogen into a more usable form, and also generates oxygen through photosynthesis. "Group A" refers to the "first" group of several groups in a controlled experiment, or a scientific study. This term can be found in this publication: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4303622/
Anomalous electroweak sphaleron transition baryogenesis:
- This is a term from Particle physics/cosmology. Baryons are subatomic particles containing an odd number of quarks; protons and neutrons are the most familiar examples. Baryogenesis is the hypothetical physical process that took place during the early universe that produced more matter than antimatter in the observable universe (or it could be any process that produces baryons). Sphaleron is a static (time-independent) solution to the electroweak field equations of the Standard Model of particle physics, and is involved in certain hypothetical processes that change the number of baryons or leptons (e.g. forming baryons and removing leptons). It is believed that the electroweak interaction is responsible for baryogenesis, but that at the temperatures involved (~1015 K), sphaleron interactions would wipe out any excess of baryons; therefore, for baryogenesis to "stick", it must have occurred at the transition out of the electroweak era...unless there were some kind of anomaly in the formation or interaction of sphalerons. Google reports no matches for the entire phrase in quotes, but shows about 70 results unquoted, indicating it finds only partial matches.
|This transcript is incomplete. Please help editing it! Thanks.|
- [White Hat is speaking to Cueball, who has his phone out, searching the phrase. White Hat has his palm raised.]
- White Hat: Yeah, I learned about it when I was researching anomalous electroweak sphaleron transition baryogenesis.
- Cueball: Cooool.
- Phone: A-N-O-M-
- [Caption below the panel:]
- My Hobby: Collecting really satisfying-sounding five-word technical phrases.
- Current favorites
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt placement
- Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity model
- Unicellular diazotrophic cyanobacteria group A
- Anomalous electroweak sphaleron transition baryogenesis
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!