|| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: Created by a HIGH-RISK HORSE. Please mention here why this explanation isn't complete. Do NOT delete this tag too soon.|
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
On the day this comic was published, the CDC released new guidelines relating to COVID-19, lifting many of the existing restrictions for people who have been fully vaccinated for two weeks. Megan, speaking as a CDC announcer, is introducing these new guidelines over video conference.
However, Blondie and Ponytail are more interested in actions that would be unsafe regardless of the presence of COVID-19. Blondie asks whether it would be okay to visit neighbors and drink milk directly from the carton; in Western culture drinking milk directly from the carton is a common stereotype of a crass bachelor (and drinking directly from someone else's milk carton is just extremely rude). While the new guidelines allow visiting neighbors, drinking milk directly from the carton would still be unsafe (and rude) because other germs could accumulate in the milk and on the edge of the carton.
Ponytail asks whether it would be okay to ride a bike down the stairs of a family member's house, which has a severe risk of injury (and could damage the wheels of the bicycle).
White Hat follows up asking whether he can get a horse, and whether it would help for both him and the horse to wear masks. In typical White Hat fashion this has basically no relation to anything else that was said (perhaps he was promised a pony when he got vaccinated). The CDC still recommends masks for humans when in public; however, face masks are not generally made for horses. Instead of answering, Megan hangs up.
In the title text, Randall mentions that when he is fully vaccinated, he will be able to text people in ALL CAPS. This is generally used to indicate that the typer is shouting,  which can spread Covid-19 aerosol particles and cause infection when done in person. However, when texting, there is no risk of spreading diseases via the computer and so this is an unnecessary precaution.
|| This transcript is incomplete. Please help editing it! Thanks.
- [Megan is seen at the bottom of the panel with the CDC-logo slightly above her and to the left]
- Megan: Our new guidance: Fully vaccinated people can gather privately with no masks or distancing, and can visit with unvaccinated low-risk people in one household. Any questions?
- [Blondie, Hairy and Megan are seen at the bottom of the panel in separate rectangular panels with Blondie and Hairy's panels being more squarish and smaller then Megan's. Blondie is directly above Hairy and both are to the right of Megan]
- Blondie: If my neighbors and I are all vaccinated, can I visit unmasked them and drink milk straight from the jug in there frigde?
- Megan: I...You can visit, yes.
- Blondie: And the jug thing?
- Megan: ...Next question?
- [Hairbun and Megan are at the bottom of the panel in rectangular boxes, similar to in a video call.]
- Hairbun: I'm fully vaccinated. Can I ride my bike in my sister-in-law's house?
- Megan: In her house?
- Hairbun: Like, down the stairs.
- Megan: I guess? You should at least wear a helmet.
- Hairbun: Even if she's not high-risk?
- Megan: Any other questions?
- [Megan is off-panel; White Hat is in a rectangular box at the bottom of the panel.]
- White Hat: I'm two weeks past my second dose.
- White Hat: Can I get a horse?
- Megan: Thank you all for coming.
- White Hat: What if I wear a mask?
- White Hat: What if the horse does?
- SFX: Meeting ended by host.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
Wow, I'm so early, there isn't even a transcript yet. 22.214.171.124 04:43, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
Me too - neat (I guess this means I refresh xkcd too often) 126.96.36.199 04:52, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
My Computer Is Not Able To Transmit Any Malware Via PlainText. I Guess I Can Already Type In All Caps. 188.8.131.52 07:06, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
I wonder if this comic also plays on the fact that when guidance is issued, people often immediately ask if they can do something not fully covered by it. They are then surprised by speakers response and try again usually resulting in the speaker changing the subject [or ending the chat as in this case]? Fan2012 (talk) 07:23, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
Shouldn't the second women who speaks be classified as Hairbun and not Ponytail? Kvarts314 (talk) 09:21, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
- The aforementioned reclassification has been achieved. 184.108.40.206 10:15, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
- I guess you mean the third with Megan being the first, but it is anyway Science Girl and had been corrected when I came here. --Kynde (talk) 12:59, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
Is it possible that the title-text is referring to the disease spread via telephones (and their lack of sanitisers) in the Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy? 220.127.116.11 10:15, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
- No!!! ;-) Nothing with telephones here --Kynde (talk) 13:04, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
Wasn't there a comic in the same vein of "can't wait to do [ridiculous thing] once vaccinated" a while back? Might be worth a mention. 18.104.22.168 10:18, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
- Found it, it's 2391: Life Before the Pandemic. 22.214.171.124 10:22, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
I was seriously expecting the title text to be something about riding a horse down the stairs in a family member's house; or possibly about how to get your horse vaccinated -- Angel (talk) 10:46, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
- Riding a horse down the stairs in another's house whilst slurping from a milk carton... (This is now safer to do, if the horse is twice vaccinated, I hear.) 126.96.36.199 14:12, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
To be honest, I wish they had still recommended masks. For most groups, wearing them is no more than an inconvenience and it's always better to be cautious. Also- Where did this habit of linking to other comics come from? I like it.--Char Latte49 (talk) 16:07, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
- We always link to relevant comics. --Kynde (talk) 13:04, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
Do we really need a citation for the fact that riding a bicycle down the stairs is dangerous? 188.8.131.52 16:52, 9 March 2021 (UTC) 184.108.40.206
- That's how we use  around here. bubblegum-talk|contribs 17:06, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
- We do? Do you have a citation for that? --220.127.116.11 10:42, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
- The Citation needed tag is on this page in most cases indeed used for things that are rather obvious or common sense for humorous effect than for things that really needed a citattion. This is due to the fact that in most cases things that really need a citation have one already added by the one who added the thing that needs citation. There's no citation for that. Elektrizikekswerk (talk) 11:22, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
- No it should not be overused, and basically only when there really is use for a citation. Removes them often! ;-) like twice in this explanation! --Kynde (talk) 13:04, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
- But that's basically the point of the meme: these are things which shouldn't *need* a citation. It's based on how Randal used them in his first book. I believe one of the references was equivalent to "the sun is very hot." If that isn't gratuitous, I don't know what is. Cwallenpoole (talk) 14:07, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
- I feel a sudden urge to look through every one of your edits and undo them now.
- Basically, we (and Randall in what-if) use  if and only if there is no question about adding one. If we really need a citation, we have a talk page for that. bubblegum-talk|contribs 17:45, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
huh! the most recent comic doesn't have an incomplete tag! cool! also the title text is pretty much exactly like that one tumblr prediction of 2021 memes. Poggers 18.104.22.168 18:18, 9 March 2021 (UTC)Bumpf
"Doctor, will I be able to play piano after the surgery?" "Certainly, your hands will be fully functional when we're done." "Great, because I couldn't play the piano before"22.214.171.124 21:07, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
- I actually did this joke once, when I was being operated on my hand :-D. Luckily I could have played piano again, but I still haven't learned. ;-) --Kynde (talk) 13:04, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
Do we have any data on masks for horses? Cwallenpoole (talk) 16:28, 12 March 2021 (UTC)
EDIT: Comment was deleted due to spamming-ish-ness.