346: Diet Coke+Mentos
Title text: The cola+Mentos trick is up there with corn starch+water (vibrating platter optional) in scientific coolness out of common kitchen supplies.
This is an irony using the popular meme of mixing Mentos into a bottle of soda. There was a period of time in 2007 when a large number of videos depicting this phenomenon floated around the Internet.
Cueball wants to show an incredible phenomenon to his friend, because it's "the coolest thing", but it turns out instead of fizzling Diet Coke everywhere, the friend's father magically shows up (presumably from the dead or from abandonment).
The title text shows that Randall considers (or at least then considered) this trick to be one of the two coolest tricks you can perform with normal kitchen supplies. The other is using corn starch and water to make a non-Newtonian fluid that reacts wildly with vibrations and impact.
- [Cueball and his friend are sitting on the ground, with a bottle of Diet Coke between them, and Cueball appears to be putting mentos into the bottle.]
- Cueball: This is the coolest thing. You just drop the mentos in the Diet Coke...
- Friend: Uh huh.
- [Diet Coke starts to fizzle.]
- Cueball: Give it a moment...
- [Someone teleports into frame in a magic puff.]
- Friend: D-Dad?
- Dad: I'm back, son. We can be a family again.
- The "corn starch+water" trick from the title text is illustrated here at what-if.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!