465: Quantum Teleportation
Title text: Science should be exactly as cool as the headlines sound. Like the "RUSSIANS CUT APART AND REASSEMBLE DOGS" thing
[Quantum teleportation](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation) is a method of effectively taking a quantum state that exists in one laboratory and destroying it in the current laboratory and later recreating that exact same (unmeasured) quantum state in another laboratory that could potentially be very far away.
This is achieved by first creating an entangled quantum state in a laboratory and moving one part of the entangled quantum state to a faraway laboratory. Now let's say a scientist desires to teleport the quantum state |ψ> to a faraway lab. The scientists does a specific measurement on the combination of |ψ> and their half of the entangled quantum state and the outcome of their measurement will be two bits of classical information. They can then telephone over the results of their two bits of information to tell scientists at the faraway lab how to do a measurement on their half of the entangled quantum state, which will recreate the quantum state |ψ> at the faraway lab, effectively teleporting it. This is an important result in quantum mechanics, especially in regards to quantum computing
This is a far cry from being able to get Star Trek teleporters where macroscopic objects like humans (composed of 10^25 particles) could be teleported to an arbitrary place.
- [Reporter and a Scientist are facing each other, sitting in chairs.]
- Reporter: So, Quantum Teleportation-
- Scientist: The name is misleading. It's a particle statistics thing.
- Reporter: So it's not like Star Trek? That's boring.
- Scientist: Okay, I'm sick of this. Every time there's a paper on Quantum :Teleportation, you reporters write the same disappointed story.
- [Scientist leaves seat and moves behind it]
- Reporter: But-
- [Scientist has gone to device that was behind him and was out of the scope of the three previous panels.]
- Scientist: Talk to someone else. I'm going to the Bahamas. <<Click>>
- [The Scientist switches a device on.]
- [Device labeled "TELEPORTER" is switched from "Quantum" to "Regular".]
- [The scientist is beamed up in classic Star Trek fashion]
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!