570: New Car
Title text: Somewhere out there is a company that has actually figured out how to enlarge penises, and it's helpless to reach potential customers.
Cueball is sitting in a nice sports car, and his (Cueball-like) friend asks when he got it. It turns out it was bought as a prize supposed to be delivered to the 100,000,000th visitor to his company's website. But the user did not react to the notice on the page about the prize, even though it was flashing.
A well-known type of Internet scam tries to trick the reader into thinking that they've won a prize, often in the form of an annoying flashy ad banner (e.g. "You're our 100,000,000th visitor!!! Click here to claim a FREE Ferrari!"). A typical clickbait.
Cueball actually really did have a fancy car to give out, but the winner didn't claim it, believing it to be a scam. It is a bit like the boy who cried wolf — given enough lies, the truth will eventually look like a lie.
(As coincidences would have it, exactly the same joke appears in the much-loved British comedy series That Mitchell and Webb Look, in a 2006 John Finnemore sketch about a "MASSIVE YACHT!" giveway. Presumably Randall hadn't come across the Mitchell and Webb version when he wrote this comic three years later.)
The title text refers to another type of scam: advertising fake "male enhancement" drugs. Randall suggests that if such a drug really did exist, it would be very difficult to advertise effectively, since most people would assume it was a scam. Additionally there may be a relation implied (intersection) between people having sports cars and people needing penis enlargements: big cars to compensate feelings of inferiority.
- [A Cueball-like guy is standing behind, a sports car where Cueball sits turned toward him.]
- Friend: When'd you get the car?
- [Zoom-in on Cueball in the car.]
- Cueball: It's the darndest thing. We bought it as a prize for the 100,000,000th visitor to our website.
- [Zoom-in on the friend.]
- Friend: And they didn't want it?
- Cueball (off-screen): Apparently.
- [Pan to where both the friend and Cueball in the car can be seen, but not the front of the car.]
- Friend: Maybe they didn't see the notice.
- Cueball: It was flashing and everything!
- Friend: How bizarre.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!