902: Darmok and Jalad
|Darmok and Jalad|
Title text: I wonder how often Patrick Stewart has Darmok flashbacks when talking to Star Trek fans.
This comic is a parody of the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Darmok" in which Captain Picard and the Enterprise crew meet with a Tamarian ship. They can translate the individual words of Tamarian with perfect accuracy, but the Tamarians communicate using metaphors based on their own history and culture—without these cultural references, the Enterprise crew are unable to understand what the Tamarians are actually saying. "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" is repeated many times in this episode by the Tamarian captain, Dathon. Picard is eventually able to decipher the line to discover that it was a story of two warriors marooned on an island (Tanagra) who work together to defeat a common foe. The alien's intention is that he and Picard work together to defeat a monster as a way to cement ties between the Tamarians and the Federation.
In the comic, instead of suggesting a dramatic gesture to achieve a diplomatic breakthrough, the alien seems to suggesting a one-night stand. It is not clear if he is chatting up Deanna Troi (who has the long curly hair) or Picard. However, given that in the original episode Darmok and Jalad (the two warriors) were identified with Dathon and Picard, it seems likely that he is flirting with Picard.
It is not certain why "Kalenda" replaced "Tanagra" in the quote; it could simply be an error. Without any context, the meaning behind the alteration, if any, is unclear.
The title text suggests that the actor Patrick Stewart (who played Picard) might sometimes feel as confused by Star Trek fans (many of whom are more knowledgeable about Star Trek than the actual actors in it, not to mention various other areas of arcane geek culture) as the character he played did in this episode.
- [Captain Dathon is seen on a communications screen]
- Alien: Darmok and Jalad at Kalenda's!
- [Jean-Luc Picard and Deanna Troi stand next to each other, looking off to the right.]
- Picard: Their language must be based on folklore and metaphor! Computer! Search cultural archives for Darmok-Jalad-Kalenda!
- [Picard and Troi listen to the response]
- Computer (off-panel): In Tamarian legend, Darmok and Jalad got totally wasted and hooked up at a party at Kalenda's.
- [Dathon is seen on the communications screen again, winking]
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!