|| This explanation may be incomplete or incorrect: |
Please include the reason why this explanation is incomplete, like this:
If you can address this issue, please edit the page! Thanks.
is the Vice President of the USA
. The comic is saying that experiencing anything for a long period of time would make anyone a snobby connoisseur, even pictures of the Vice President eating a sandwich.
As far as the title text, Randall’s saying that the more time we spend with something, the more prominent it is in our brains, so the more dramatic minor differences seem.
- [White Hat is standing with Cueball. They each hold a wine glass in one hand, White Hat is holding a bottle of wine in the other. He looks at the label.]
- White Hat: How do you stand this cheap wine?
- Cueball: Wine all tastes the same to me.
- [Close-up of White Hat.]
- White Hat: You've just never had good wine. If you paid more attention, you'd realize there's a whole world here.
- [Close-up on the other man, who spreads his arms, sloshing his wine slightly.]
- Cueball: But that's true of anything! Wine, house music, fonts, ants, Wikipedia signatures, Canadian surrealist porn—
- Cueball: Spend enough time with any of them and you'll become a snobby connoisseur.
- [This panel has no border and is next to but aligned further down than the first three panels.]
- [The full frame of the two characters again. White Hat now has the bottle at his side.]
- White Hat: But some things do have more depth than others.
- Cueball: If you locked people in a box for a year with 500 still frames of Joe Biden eating a sandwich, by the end they'd be adamant that some were great and some were terrible.
- White Hat: You're exaggerating.
- Cueball: Oh yeah?
- [This panel is below the others, and is indented about a third of the way to the right. It is wide.]
- A YEAR LATER:
- [A box. Voices emanate from inside.]
- Voice #1: Sure, most closed-mouth frames are boring, but in #415, the way the man's jaw frames the mayo on his hand is pure perfection, and—
- Voice #2: What a surprise- you praising a mayo frame. Listening to you, I'd think there was nothing else in The Sandwich. Frankly, the light hitting J.B.'s collar through the lettuce would put #242 in my top ten even if he had no mayo on his hand at all.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!
Well he's right about fonts. I am hooked on Operator Mono, which costs like $200-300 if you purchase it legitimately 😗 ... --184.108.40.206 08:51, 3 December 2018 (UTC)
Let's face it: every wine connoisseur is an alcoholic. You have to drink a lot of wine over a long period of time to begin distinguishing all wine-types, flavors etc. Rule of nature. No discussion. 220.127.116.11 (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- I hope you were drunk at least when you said this 🍻 --18.104.22.168 08:51, 3 December 2018 (UTC)
This is one of those xkcd comics that I'm just constantly linking back to as an image retort. I love Randall. Davidy²²[talk] 01:28, 17 April 2013 (UTC)
I expanded the explanation and removed the incomplete tag. 22.214.171.124 14:47, 5 December 2013 (UTC)
The current incomplete tag asks why voice 1 calls Joe Biden "the man" and voice 2 calls him J.B. As far as I can see, there is no deeper/cryptic meaning to the choice of these words, other than possible space saving. Both 'J.B.' and 'the man' are shorter than 'Joe Biden'. I personally don't believe that this requires any further explanation, but I will leave the incomplete tag for now. If there are no updates to the page or additional discussion here, I will remove the incomplete tag in due course. --Pudder (talk) 13:06, 30 July 2015 (UTC)
- The stars are named Joe Biden, though. Hmmmm... RedHatGuy68 (talk) 05:20, 23 January 2016 (UTC)
This could be another 242 reference; the explanation to 903: Extended Mind describes Randall's use of 242 as an old inside joke, ãnd 242 also appears in 688: Self-Description. Pelosujamo (talk) 20:07, 5 February 2017 (UTC)
How can it be a reference to 1051 if it came before 1051126.96.36.199
- I don't see how there is a reference between these to comics anyway. especially regarding canadian surealist porn. Closest thing in there is Autoerotic Asphyxiation... I'm gonna delete that there is this reference Lupo (talk) 18:48, 4 January 2018 (UTC)
- Upon looking at it again to reread it, I notice, that the reference is not in the comic, but the explanation, as canadian surrealist porn is not a wikipedia link, but 3 of them for canada, surrealism and porn, which is basically the title text from 1051. Gonna delete it anyway, as it has no relevance. Lupo (talk) 18:50, 4 January 2018 (UTC)
All of us are connoisseurs of Randall Monroe eating a sandwich while drawing more comics.
canadian surrealist porn ughghghghg https://xkcd.com/1051/ title text
Should change "a statement most wine enthusiasts passionately agree with" to "an opinion held by stereotypical wine snobs" because most wine enthusiasts know you can find joy in the right $20 bottle.188.8.131.52 00:37, 8 April 2020 (UTC)