Title text: 'Rating: 1/5. Room filled to brim with semen, and when front desk clerk opened mouth to talk, bedbugs poured out.'
Alright, it is pretty clear what Black Hat is doing here. He is putting bad reviews on all the hotels he has stayed at and likes and wants to stay in again, and it is true that this would lower demand for said hotel. Putting positive reviews on bad hotels, on the other hand, would steer other people there so there are more vacancies at good hotels. He claims he is not enough influence to put them out of business.
The Tragedy of the commons "is a dilemma arising from the situation in which multiple individuals, acting independently and rationally consulting their own self-interest, will ultimately deplete a shared limited resource, even when it is clear that it is not in anyone's long-term interest for this to happen." This situation is not a complete example of this concept as Black Hat is the only one doing it. He understands, however, that if others do it, it would apply.
In the last frame, Black Hat references the invisible hand which is the term economists use to describe the self-regulating nature of the marketplace. Black Hat appears to be taking advantage of this invisible hand by literally cutting it with a knife and eating it.
The title text is an example of Black Hat's negative review.
- [Cueball is sitting at a desk with a laptop, looking at a review website]
- Cueball: What's with this negative review? You *liked* that hotel.
- Black Hat Man: I have a script that posts a bad review for every hotel I stay at. It reduces demand, which means more vacancies and lower prices next time.
- Cueball: What if the place sucks?
- Black Hat Man: I change the review to positive to steer other people over there.
- Cueball: You punish companies you like!
- Black Hat Man: The odds of *my* review putting a hotel out of business are negligible.
- Cueball: If we all did that the system would collapse!
- Black Hat Man: Doesn't affect my logic. Tragedy of the commons.
- Cueball: That's not even the tragedy of the commons anymore. That's the tragedy of you're a dick.
- Black Hat Man: If you're quick with a knife, you'll find that the invisible hand is made of delicious invisible meat.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!