Countdown in header text/other images
Revision as of 17:57, 26 May 2022 by Natg19 (talk | contribs) (Undo revision 277741 by Donald Trump (talk))
- Here are images used to document the Countdown in header text.
- The actual frame images of the countdown are here Countdown in header text/images
Examples of how it looked with the counter
- This was the image originally used on the front of the main page. But that was changed as the countdown ended and a gif animation was provided.
- After a few days the black lines forming the image came into conflict with the clock, which has a rounded white frame around it. This can be seen in one of the earliest examples here:
- Later this could cause problems for those only looking at the xkcd page. From frame 97 a new item appeared in the top right corner. This turned out to be a black curve that could resemble a dinosaurs tail. At this moment, frame 121, it is still unclear what it is. But when looked at on xkcd, the clocks rounded white frame intersects with the "tail" making the end curve inwards. This makes it look like an elephants trunk. But this is of course not the case, but an effect of how the clock is overlaid on the image:
Changing counter position
- After the countdown finished a series of images has been taken from each day of the countdown showing the countdown.
- These are taken from the archived versions. It looks like some of the archived versions sometimes display the image from a different day.
- But it was possible to find at one for each day, 20 to 0, with at least a picture from within the same 24 hours behind the counter.
- All this is to show how the counter started to be in the middle of the panel and then later moved towards the top to make room for most of the image.
- The counter had a white frame, with rounded edges, around it. And this covered the picture when the black lines came beneath the counter frame.
- Here is a gif showing the migration of the countdown clock over the 21 days and then the final frame. Provided by the new gif maker of explain xkcd.
- It was made from the pictures posted here below.
- Here are the pictures from day 20 to day 0, as well as the one from after the countdown.
- An images that show all 22 next to each other have been made making the move of the counter easy to follow. It was very long so it has been removed from this page.
- It can be seen here.
- Here is a link to the page where it lies: File:Countdown in header text page Day 20 to -1.png
- Form the images it can be seen that the move of the counter began early, and continued to move up a bit all the way until about 2 days before the countdown ended. Then it had reached the top.
- At some time during the last two days, maybe when the day counter reached 1, the font of the counter changed to bold, which lasted the rest of the countdown.
- The last 10 minutes the day counter was removed and a second counter was added. See below.
- The final image appeared in frame 134, and it did not change when frame 135 came up. That was the active frame when there was one hour left of the countdown:
- Here below is a picture from 15 minutes before the end and next to this later iamges. From around 10 minutes before the end, the day counter was removed and replaced with a seconds counter at the other end, and the image started to shake. This should be clear from these images:
- But even more so for this gif animation kindly provided to us here:
The page before and after countdown
- Here are some examples of the look of the page just before and after the counter ended
- Also at this time a new development happened after the "plane tail" moved forward it stopped on 2022-01-18 and started moving up (or zooming in). See for instance these two comparison from munvoseli's page showing the difference from the 8 pictures before today, and then after three out today:
- Later a similar change happens, as it changes from zooming out to slowly moving towards the right, although the windows and the door appear to move more in relation to the frame than the rest of the aircraft:
- From frame 124 to 125 one of the largest changes occurred between images so far. A very large jump bringing two new things into view, the landing wheel and possibly a leg if it is dinosaur on top of the plane;
- It went fast the last days. Here are examples of the shift over 4 frames from 128 to 132, then the last time the frames did shift from 133 to 134 (frame 135 was identical to 134) and finally the complete shift to the book cover version from 135 to 136. Mainly to show how the plane moved up when the counter disappeared and the title came below: