Talk:1676: Full-Width Justification
- I assumed Unicode snakes would use three different characters: a head, a body segment, and a tail. Your solution is good, but objectively not perfect compared to what's shown in the comic.
- So what would be the optimal snake transcription method here? A parenthetical aside saying "A drawing of a snake stretches to the right end of the line."? Or should we just blackmail the Unicode consortium again?
- The correct solution is obviously to include a 16 Mpixel image of a snake.Henke37 (talk) 07:41, 4 May 2016 (UTC)
Also, funnily enough, the filler text and the snakes were used in medieval (hand-written) manuscripts. Although it's not a snake but usually a nondescript wriggle that could only pass as a snake when you're squinting really hard. For filler text it's usually low-content words like "truly", "verily", "indeed", "without fail", "in truth" or stuff like that. So it's really an old problem with no satisfactory solution developed in hundreds of years... 220.127.116.11 08:19, 4 May 2016 (UTC)
- This practice of filling the line with a dingbat carried on into the days of handset letterpress (i.e. up until the early 1900's), although it gradually became more whimsical and so less frequent in serious works.18.104.22.168 12:28, 4 May 2016 (UTC)
In practice you reformulate. Not necessarily insert filler words, but just reorder the sentence enough that justification works. That is assuming the automated justification doesn't work, which will try a combination of multiple methods like word-spacing, letter-spacing and hyphenation. Imagine hyphenating at "de-" instead, but adding a little bit extra letter space in "between", and almost double normal word space between "between" and "de-".22.214.171.124 08:20, 4 May 2016 (UTC)
- Reformulating can only be done with the (tacit or explicit) permission of the author. There are situations where rewording would not be allowed.126.96.36.199 12:28, 4 May 2016 (UTC)
While the arabic part is interesting, I don't feel it to be very relevant here. 188.8.131.52 09:11, 4 May 2016 (UTC)
- It is relevant because is yet another solution (useful only in Arabic). Demro (talk) 12:47, 4 May 2016 (UTC)