Talk:2061: Tectonics Game
- Not bad, but please do not remove the incomplete tag too soon. Even my smaller changes don't convince me right now that it's complete. --Dgbrt (talk) 17:34, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
- There's no explanation OR transcript for the Title-text, yet. Sooo...
- ProphetZarquon (talk) 18:41, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
I know very little about stars. Can anyone explain what the type in the title text is? 188.8.131.52 18:23, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
The nice thing about this game is you could represent the Earth by a 1000-pixel wide map, and it would take over a decade before anyone could tell whether you'd actually implemented anything. -- Dtgriscom (talk) 20:53, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
In Panel 2, there is a box with the following information
Single Multi LT 80 GT 440 T LM 15 GT 3 GT LA 2 MT 0 T LL 580 GT 0 T
What does this mean? The measurements seem to be in gigatonnes, hence a measure of mass. CO2 releases are often measured in Gigatonnes. The geochemical carbon cycle is a significant long term negative feedback loop, so I guess these relate to CO2, but I can't guess the specifics. Zeimusu (talk) 15:00, 20 October 2018 (UTC)
An Actual Game
Here is a section for people who are looking into actually developing a game. (With time warp obviously.)
Seriously though, this could actually be a fun (and educational) simulator, similar to KSP. --184.108.40.206 02:31, 20 October 2018 (UTC)
- If the comment section of this comic is anything to go by, you could sell it for a buck a pop and get...I dunno...$12 at least? GreatWyrmGold (talk) 19:01, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
Hey, guys reading your comments I can see several people, including myself, might be interested in making a game like this. Perhaps we should coordinate efforts to make one? 220.127.116.11 23:15, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
I came here specifically to see if this game existed and I'm irritated it doesn't yet. People with better coding and geological skills than me, you have an interested party.
I'm fully on board. If and when this thing hypothetically gets popular, I'll be like, "Hey, I was there!" 18.104.22.168 04:12, 20 October 2018 (UTC)
I have a feeling that making this game would be an awful like No Man's Sky, all the physics would be extremely difficult to manage and take years to iron out fully. 22.214.171.124 15:03, 20 October 2018 (UTC)
I would love to help. I'm thinking something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reus_(video_game). But just with planetary modification abilities.
Other Real Time Games
This is for discussion of other real time games. (I.E. Desert Bus) --126.96.36.199 02:34, 20 October 2018 (UTC)
I have this horrible urge to find the Desert Bus source code and mod it to make "Desert Bus 2: Walt Disney Land to Walt Disney World" 188.8.131.52 21:53, 19 October 2018 (UTC)SiliconWolf
It's like playing Desert Bus for the rest of your life... :) 184.108.40.206 18:23, 19 October 2018 (UTC) Scott
- I thought it appropriate to add Desert Bus to the main description as a real world example of a tedious real-time game that goes to a ridiculous extreme... though much less extreme and ridiculous than the one in the comic. -boB (talk) 21:17, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
Does anyone else remember the old DOS game: 688 Attack Sub? Where it felt like you were waiting forever for your torpedo to hit? I liked that they told you that, in the real world, it's much slower than it is in the game.220.127.116.11 18:46, 19 October 2018 (UTC)