1053: Ten Thousand
Title text: Saying 'what kind of an idiot doesn't know about the Yellowstone supervolcano' is so much more boring than telling someone about the Yellowstone supervolcano for the first time.
This is certainly a great approach to take with someone that doesn't know an apparent common fact, rather than taking the "idiot" approach. For all those who haven't yet seen the Diet Coke and Mentos eruption: here is a Mythbusters video, and here is a music video (Pork and Beans by Weezer) with excessive eruptions. The Diet Coke and Mentos eruption has also been mentioned in a previous strip 346: Diet Coke+Mentos.
The approximate rate of 10,000 people per day hearing about something for the first time is estimated by the birth rate of 4,000,000 people per year divided by 365 days per year, assuming that the birth rate is constant and that indeed everyone learns or gets the fact (or that those in the US who don't are about equal in number to those in other countries who do). The target age of thirty years is irrelevant in this calculation; the 10,000 number is simply equal to the number of newborns per day, or equivalently, the number of people who reach a given age each day.
The title text provides another, perhaps more emphatic example of how explaining a fact to a person for the first time is much more entertaining than just expressing annoyance about that missing knowledge. Here is a good video about the Yellowstone supervolcano. Interestingly enough both events includes some kind (very different kind) of eruptions.
- I try not to make fun of people for admitting they don't know things.
- Because for each thing "everyone knows" by the time they're adults, every day there are, on average, 10,000 people in the US hearing about it for the first time.
- Fraction who have heard of it at birth = 0%
- Fraction who have heard of it by 30 ≈ 100%
- US birth rate ≈ 4,000,000/year
- Number hearing about it for the first time ≈ 10,000/day
- If I make fun of people, I train them not to tell me when they have those moments. And I miss out on the fun.
- Megan: "Diet Coke and Mentos thing"? What's that?
- Cueball: Oh man! Come on, we're going to the grocery store.
- Megan: Why?
- Cueball: You're one of today's lucky 10,000.
add a comment! ⋅ add a topic (use sparingly)! ⋅ refresh comments!