Title text: A big obstacle in experimenting with the mind's dream-simulation-engine is holding onto the details as you wake up. With TCMP you can bring back any information you want.
Cueball trained himself to type while asleep, so he could communicate from inside his dreams. He calls this Trans-Consciousness Messaging Protocol, or TCMP.
He succeeds in using this system to send a message from inside his dream, but his friends, Megan and another Cueball-like guy, are disappointed when that first message is a trollish "F1rst p0st!!", instead of something constructive. See also 1019: First Post and 1258: First and regarding trolling 493: Actuarial.
"Bell & Watson" refers to Alexander Graham Bell and his assistant Thomas A. Watson. Bell is traditionally credited with inventing the telephone because he was awarded the patent for it although that is still controversial. His first phone call was to Watson in another part of their lab.
The title text explains how this protocol, if real, would be of great value in dream research since you then would not have to worry about forgetting the dreams after waking up like as in 430: Every Damn Morning. You can relay the dreams as you experience them.
However, in order for this to work the dream has to be lucid, where the dreamer is aware that he or she is dreaming. This type of dream is very facinating to Randall as mentioned in the title text of 203: Hallucinations. But thus this could never work for normal dreams. And lucid dreams are probably easier to remember anyway.
- [Cueball stand with a keyboard next to a bed. The keyboard is connected to a computer to the right. He talks to Megan and a Cueball-like friend.]
- Cueball: Hey, help me test the Trans-Consciousness Messaging Protocol.
- Friend: What's that?
- Cueball: I've been training myself to keep my fingers moving slightly as I fall asleep. So I can type from inside dreams.
- [Cueball sits with the keyboard on the bed.]
- Cueball: I'm going to sleep now. My computer will relay my messages to you as I explore the dream world.
- [Cueball stand with the keyboard in a forrest with tall trees. The leaves are not visdible, they are above the top of the drawing. At the top there is a frame with text:]
- In the dream:
- Cueball (thinking): So strange to think none of this is real.
- Cueball (thinking): And yet I have this lifeline to the internet back home.
- [Cueball places the keyboard on a stone, bends down and types.]
- Cueball (thinking): A chance to speak from one reality to another.
- Cueball (thinking): I feel like Bell & Watson. I get to write the inaugural TCMP message.
- Cueball (thinking): Let's see...
- Keyboard: *Type type type*
- [Megan at the computer and the Cueball-like friend behind her looks at his message from the dream. At the top there is a frame with text:]
- Megan: "F1rst P0st!!"?
- Friend: Great. He's jumped straight to trans-reality trolling.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!