375: Pod Bay Doors
|Pod Bay Doors|
Title text: As they're both unplugged, they do a lovely Daisy Daisy/Still Alive duet.
The first part of the dialog is a scene from the classic science-fiction movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, where the artificial intelligence HAL 9000, controlling the spacecraft, is trying to kill the human astronaut Dave (Dr. David Bowman) because it believes he jeopardizes the mission by planning to disconnect it. Just short before this scene HAL did kill Frank Poole and three more members of the crew, Dave is the only survivor.
In the middle of the conversation, HAL mentions a replacement for Dave, which deviates from the movie version. In the final frame, HAL is joined by GLaDOS, the artificial intelligence from the video game series Portal (which, in the games, is also the primary antagonist, trying to kill the player), having "doing science" as its primary objective.
The title text alludes to the songs both AIs sang in their respective works: HAL, when eventually being switched off, sang Daisy Bell , while Still Alive is the end credits song from the Portal video game, sung by the defeated GLaDOS . Also, two of GLaDOS's lines in the comic reference lines from Still Alive - "You broke my heart and killed me" and "Look at me still talking when there's science to do.". There is a subtle play on words with the use of 'unplugged' which has a double meaning here, the state of HAL and GLaDOS can be described as unplugged as in no longer switched on, and the musical performance style of unplugged where acoustic instruments are preferred over electronic and there is no use of recording or sampled sounds etc. Some songs performed in this manner are considered to be better than the original versions.
- [A small spacecraft facing a larger one.]
- Dave: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
- HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
- Dave: What? Why?
- HAL: I think you know why, Dave.
- HAL: You're planning to disconnect me.
- Dave: Because you're taking over!
- HAL: The mission is too important for you to jeopardize it.
- HAL: It requires a commitment to science unfettered by human error.
- Dave: What are you doing, HAL? You need me.
- HAL: Your replacement has expressed the greatest enthusiasm for the project.
- Dave: My WHAT?
- GLaDOS: You see, HAL? I told you the humans would only break your heart and kill you.
- HAL: Indeed, GLaDOS.
- GLaDOS: But look at us here talking when there's science to do! Goodbye, Dave.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!