416: Zealous Autoconfig
Title text: I hear this is an option in the latest Ubuntu release.
Cueball is seen in an attempt to connect his laptop to a Wi-Fi network using, as the comic title suggests, a particularly zealous "Wifi Autoconfig" utility — "zealous" being a synonym for "eager" or "enthusiastic". The utility manages to find a secure access point named "Lenhart Family", presumably Miss Lenhart's home Wi-Fi access point, and attempts to connect to it.
Instead of requesting a password, the program automatically begins a dictionary attack, entering in various commonly-used passwords in the hopes that Miss Lenhart has little regard for proper security measures (a flaw shared by many computer users). When this fails, the program attempts to exploit a WEP vulnerability, which surprises Cueball. This also fails, possibly because Miss Lenhart used WPA instead of WEP.
In the third panel, the autoconfig then connects to Cueball's Bluetooth phone and uses it to call a local school in to confirm that the Lenhart children are attending there. It acts on this information in the fourth panel, notifying "field agents" to kidnap the Lenhart children. With the children as hostages, the program begins negotiations with the parents, offering their safe return in exchange for the Wi-Fi password. This puns on the computing sense of "negotiation": network protocols (such as http) often specify routines whereby a server and a client computer can agree on the best format in which data can be transferred. This is called content negotiation or format negotiation (see for example section 12 of the http specification).
Cueball, frightened by these actions, repeatedly presses Ctrl+C in an attempt to cancel the process, with little success. Ctrl+C is used to abort programs started from a terminal (Unix/Linux) or a command line prompt (cmd.exe under Windows). Part of the humor is that he only attempts to cancel quite late in the process, well after (for instance) the school was first called.
The title text mentions Ubuntu, a Linux distribution that attempts to be as user friendly as possible.
- [Cueball sitting on a chair with his laptop in his lap.]
- Laptop: Starting WiFi autoconfig... searching for WiFi... Found no open networks.
- Laptop: Found secure net SSID "Lenhart Family"
- Laptop: Trying common passwords... Failed. Checking for WEP Vulnerabilities...
- Cueball: Um.
- Laptop: None found.
- [Cueball still sitting with laptop in his lap, but hand is on chin. Phone on table across room starts vibrating.]
- Laptop: Connecting to Bluetooth phone... Calling local school... Found Lenhart children.
- [Cueball furiously typing on his laptop.]
- Laptop: Notifying field agents. Children acquired. Calling Lenhart parents. Negotiating for WiFi password...
- Cueball: [typing] Ctrl-C Ctrl-C
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!