575: Tag Combination
Song tags are a form of file metadata used to categorize music. Tags will typically describe the content and genre of the song, and many music organization programs and services will allow users to find all songs that contain a particular tag; so when a user searches for "Country breakup music," they will receive a list of country songs about breaking up.
In this comic, Cueball tests Megan's claim that she can make a song name for any set of tags by coming up with a collection of mostly unrelated words: "lesbian voyeurism one-hit wonder mash-up." A lesbian is a woman who is only sexually interested in other women. Voyeurism is the act of watching someone else do something sexual, generally without their knowledge. A one-hit wonder is a band that had "one big hit" before fading from the public eye forever. A mash-up is when someone takes two previously unrelated songs and makes a third song that's a mix of both of them (a recent example of which would be this Gangam Style/Ghostbusters theme mashup). In response, Megan almost immediately replies with two song titles that look like they would fit the tags well.
Megan's first title, "I Wish That Stacy's Mom Had Jessie's Girl" is a mash-up of "Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield, and "Stacy's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne, which were both one-hit-wonders. The second title, "When You Come on Eileen I Touch Myself" is a mash-up of "Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners, and "I Touch Myself" by Divinyls. Note that "Come on, Eileen" means "Hurry up, Eileen", and that "to come on someone" means to ejaculate on someone.
The title text is a set of potential lyrics to Megan's second title. Randall borrowed the rhyme scheme, phrasing, and subject matter from the first eight stanzas of "I Touch Myself" with additional subject matter inspired by "Come on Eileen." The final stanza is the chorus lead-in from the latter.
- lesbian: Here "had" means "had sex with". The two women having sex are Stacy's mom and Jessie's Girl
- voyeurism: "When You Come on Eileen I Touch Myself", i.e. the voyeur looks at someone and Eileen having sex
- one-hit wonder: "Jessie's Girl" and "Stacy's Mom"
- mash-up: Both verses are mash-ups.
- Cueball: So you can come up with a song title fitting any tag combination?
- Megan: Try me.
- Cueball: Lesbian voyeurism one-hit wonder mash-up.
- Megan: "I wish that Stacey's Mom had Jessie's Girl."
- Cueball: Well, that was one, but-
- Megan: "When you Come On Eileen I touch myself."
- Cueball: Okay, wow.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!