Title text: It's commonly known that too much perspective can be a downer.
It must be part of the human condition that causes us to think that odd statements are sometimes more humorous than those supposed to be funny. Cueball makes a true statement, that his statement is not very funny. However, because he invoked irony, the sentence is now funny!
Now going meta: In 20,000 years, there might be no more humans on earth to find the irony funny anymore. How ironic!
This is the first xkcd comic showing stick figure people, which eventually becomes a defining characteristic of the future comic series.
The "too much perspective" idea may reference the Total Perspective Vortex in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Also see 33: Self-reference.
- When self-reference, irony, and meta-humor go too far
- A CAUTIONARY TALE
- Cueball: This statement wouldn't be funny if not for irony!
- Cueball: ha ha
- Friend: ha ha, I guess.
- 20,000 years later...
- [Desolate badlands landscape with an imposing sun in the sky.]
- This is the ninth comic originally posted on livejournal. The previous was 8: Red Spiders. The next was 9: Serenity is coming out tomorrow.
- Original Randall quote: "Too much perspective can do that."