868: Nolan Chart
Title text: Also in the right quadrant are NFPA-compliant chemical manufacturers and Sir Charles Wheatstone. Sharing the top with the internet libertarians are Nate Silver and several politically-active kite designers.
The Nolan Chart is a visual representation of the political spectrum that measures not only liberal vs conservative tendencies but also libertarian and statist tendencies. In this comic, it is taken to a different end. One one side are both Democrats and Republicans and on the other side is baseball fans. In the typical Nolan Chart, Libertarians are in the top quadrant, but in this one "Internet Libertarians" take the spot because they love the Nolan Charts (that are found online) and have a lot of political opinions.
Nolan may also refer to baseball hall of famer Nolan Ryan.
In the image text, the NFPA-compliant chemical manufacturers are mentioned because of this diagram. Sir Charles Wheatstone was the inventor of the Wheatstone bridge, which is also diamond-shaped. Lastly, the image text references Nate Silver, who previously worked for Baseball Prospectus and now writes a data-driven political and sports blog called Five Thirty Eight for ESPN. He is both a lover of diamond-shaped diagrams and has political opinions.
- [Diamond-shaped four-panel diagram.]
- [Top panel labeled "internet libertarians".]
- [Left panel labeled "Democrats, Republicans".]
- [Bottom panel labeled "other".]
- [Right panel labeled "baseball fans".]
- [Axis increasing in the upper-left direction labeled "political opinions".]
- [Axis increasing in the upper-right direction labeled "love of diamond-shaped diagrams".]
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!