Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
This comic is a take on the anti-homosexual refrain, used often at those sorts of rallies "It was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve". This refrain is used to support the definition of marriage as between a man and a woman because in the old testament God created a man and a woman to start the human race. Adam and Eve are in the story in the Bible of the creation (Book of Genesis), and are the first pair of humans, created by God.
Adam walks in on Eve having sexual relations with Abel, who is Adam's son, which turns the joke from a homosexual one into an incest one.
In the title text, Adam continues that he would have preferred walking in on Abel and Steve because Steve is not his wife.
- Adam: It's Adam and Eve, not Abel and Eve!!
- Adam was freaked out by what he'd just walked in on.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!
No problem, the ten commandments didn't exist back then. Davidy22[talk] 13:18, 18 February 2013 (UTC)
There's a "forbidden fruit" joke somewhere in here. Alpha (talk) 20:35, 23 February 2013 (UTC)
Missing from the explanation here is that Abel logically must have slept with his own mother because, according to the Biblical account, there were in fact no other women in existence. 18.104.22.168 00:22, 22 March 2013 (UTC)
- Actually, it is generally acknowledged that Adam and Eve had children, including daughters, who were not mentioned in the bible. Remember, God marked the brow of Cain to show all the people he encountered that he was a fratricide; where did all those people come from? 22.214.171.124 13:56, 1 April 2013 (UTC)
- I'm adamant that it was barbecue leftovers. --Qwach (talk) 03:01, 1 September 2013 (UTC)
- The Bible actually states that there were additional children, Genesis 5:4 "The days of Adam after he became the father of Seth were eight hundred years; and he had other sons and daughters." Also, Abel was killed by Cain before he'd ever had children. Cain and Seth are the only ones whose descendants are listed CVictoria (talk) 18:36, 19 July 2014 (UTC)
- Also don't forget Lilith. But I don't think Abel slept with her either. Tharkon (talk) 00:50, 18 July 2014 (UTC)
- There is no Lilith in the Genesis account. I don't know why people keep thinking there is.126.96.36.199 14:24, 6 September 2015 (UTC)
I totally forgot/didn't know that Abel was a man. I thought it was a girl's name. I thought Eve was having sex with another woman, like Adam may do with Steve. 188.8.131.52 20:38, 21 January 2015 (UTC)
- That is very peculiar, I have never heard/encountered situations where Abel was not a male name. On a more general note the whole "Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" is really silly. Even if you could prove it (good luck with that), there's no reason to believe that the actions and attitudes a single, custom made, specifically constructed breeding pair should dominate the behaviors and sexualities of the billions of descendant humans. It'd be like expecting knockout mice being a perfect example of all mice. -Pennpenn 184.108.40.206 02:07, 12 August 2015 (UTC)