Title text: Of the two Garfields, you wouldn't think the cat would turn out to be the more compelling presidential speechwriter, but there you go.
No confirmation has yet been found that any of these words are references to something from former US President James Garfield or Garfield the cartoon cat. However, Garfield the cartoon cat has a bunch of different images emphasizing the greatness of the weekend and bemoaning the existence of the first day of the work week, Monday.
And of course, the comic was posted on a Monday, so the comic is timed to emphasize that.
In the first image, there is a reference to the Lover Boy song "Everybodys Workin For the Weekend". "We are all working for the weekend" is a reference to the title and lyrics in the Lover Boy song which indicate that "Everybody's working for the weekend."
- [Cueball stands at a podium before a very large crowd.]
- Cueball: We all hate Mondays. We're all working for the weekend. But our chains exist only in our minds.
- [A shot of Cueball from the podium upwards, from a 34 angle. He raises one hand in explanation.]
- Cueball: Calendars are just social consensus. Nature doesn't know the day of the week.
- [Closer still, looking straight ahead.]
- Cueball: My friends-- we can make today Saturday.
- [Extreme close-up, negative colors.]
- Cueball: We can make it Saturday forever.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!