Explain xkcd: It's 'cause you're dumb.
Here we have Cueball and Megan discussing Geology and the words they use are ripe with puns and double entendres which also have sexual meanings. In the end they just decide to get it on.
Specifically, the suggestive terms are "bedding," "spreading," "cleavage," "deeper in the rift," "orogeny," "huge," and "thrust."
In the title text, gneiss (pronounced "nice") is a type of rock, and butte (rhymes with "cute") is a conspicuous isolated hill with steep, often vertical sides and a small, relatively flat top. Thus, a "gneiss butte" is a play on "nice butt".
- [Two people are doing a geological survey.]
- Megan: Forget the bedding - we were wrong about the whole valley.
- Cueball: The spreading is recent.
- Megan: See the friction breccia?
- Cueball: Oh - flow cleavage! Deeper in the rift.
- Megan: Deeper.
- [An idea pops into Megan's head.]
- Megan: This orogeny
- Cueball: is driven by a
- Megan: huge
- Cueball: thrust fault
- [The same idea pops into Cueball's head.]
- [They both drop to the ground in a fit of passion.]
- Geology: Surprisingly erotic.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!
Actually, in the UK "gneiss" is pronounced exactly "nice", so it fits even better there.
- If Wikipedia's phonetic guide is any authority, it's also said that way in the US (hover-text: 'n' as in 'nigh', long 'i' in 'bide', 's' as in 'sigh')... it doesn't make any distinctions between regions. -- IronyChef (talk) 04:51, 18 August 2012 (UTC)
- Indeed. American geologists also pronounce it "nice" lcarsos (talk) 18:06, 20 August 2012 (UTC)
- According to my geologist father, 'gneiss' is pronounced as "nice" and 'butte' as "beaut." He also says that buttes are almost never gneiss: gneiss is a metamorphic rock, and buttes are almost always formed from sedimentary rocks. (Gneiss can form bornhardts, which are also bumps of rock, but form by a different process and don't look very similar.) Variables won't, constants aren't. (Osborn's Law) (talk) 00:58, 29 August 2012 (UTC)
- Your father is kind of a buzzkill. 18.104.22.168 16:42, 29 January 2014 (UTC)
Rather impressive to see an erotic geology joke that doesn't even need to bring up cleavage, lol. One of my favourites. BruceJohnJennerLawso (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
- Oops, my mistake, they did mention cleavage, but still not bad anyways. BruceJohnJennerLawso (talk) (please sign your comments with ~~~~)
Another gneiss butte interpretation, that Randall can't possibly have intended because of his politics, is a small hill- much like pregnancy.Seebert
) 12:54, 30 June 2014 (UTC)