11: Barrel - Part 2
|Barrel - Part 2|
Title text: Awww.
Like in the previous comic in the Barrel series, the boy is floating in the ocean in a barrel. The previous comic made a point about the uncertainty of life; here, the boy's lament at not finding a mother is pure sentimentality, as accentuated by the title text.
According the Freud, the first stage of psychosexual development is the Oral Stage which relates to a baby's relationship with its mother. The realisation that mommy cannot be found is the first point at which a person learns to stop trusting the world and realises that the world is not always comforting and safe.
This is the second in a six-part series of comics whose parts were randomly published during the first several dozen strips. The series features a character that is not consistent with what would quickly become the xkcd stick figure style. The character is in a barrel.
The full series can be found here. But below they are listed in the order Randall has put them in his collection linked to above:
- 1: Barrel - Part 1
- 20: Ferret
- 11: Barrel - Part 2
- 22: Barrel - Part 3
- 25: Barrel - Part 4
- 31: Barrel - Part 5
- [A boy sits in a barrel which is floating in an ocean.]
- Boy: None of the places i floated had mommies.
- This was the 13th comic originally posted to LiveJournal.
- This comic kept it's original title: "Barrel - Part 2 "
- Original Randall quote: "The story continues."
- This was one of the thirteen first comics posted to LiveJournal within 12 minutes on Friday September 30, 2005.
- This comic was posted on xkcd when the web site opened on Sunday the 1st of January 2006.
- It was posted along with all 41 comics posted before that on LiveJournal as well as a few others.
- The latter explaining why the numbers of these 41 LiveJournal comics ranges from 1-44.
- One of the original drawings drawn on checkered paper.
- The drawing style is very reminiscent of the Little Prince.
add a comment! ⋅ refresh comments!